Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polyclar...

Hey all,

I have been using polyclar on the last few batches, it seems to work fine, but I am worried that I might be stripping too much from the beer. I have been dosing at 5 grams/bbl. and mixing the polyclar straight into cold beer in a corny, then puching it back into the brite tank.

It seems like everyone I ask has a different opinion on amount and dosing procedure. What do you guys do?

Also, I used gelatin on my Oktoberfest, I used 5 grams/bbl ratio, mixed it in 190 degree water that had been cooled from a boil and pitched into the brite tank just before racking. It worked well, but I think the beer has a bit of a "gelatinous" feel to it. Is this common, or am I just insane?

Cheers!
    Tomas

Hello Tomas!

I think a couple of things on the subject. One, bright unfiltered beer starts in the brewhouse. Maximize hot and cold break, as well as trub separation for starters. But cold side...

I think you will have brighter, more consistent beer using an isinglass type product, Biofine, Casklear or the like, combined with a silica or zerogel such as Stabaquick or Lucilite.

Also dosing rate will vary depending upon a number of factors, such as yeast count, etc. This and varying brewhouse / fermentation / maturation procedures easily accounts for varying recommended amounts.

The best thing to do is find the right amount for each of your beers. You can do a few tests with a small amount of unfined beer (say 500 ml or so) and varying amounts of finings relatively easily.

But you are very right, over fining will not only result in less than bright beer, but also strip your beer of some of those desirable aromas, and mouthfeel. So it is important to dial in the right amount, every time!

Cheers,
    Ron

Comment

You may want to check out the following article about Polyclar.

My experience with this product has been great but I have used Polyclar in conjuction with filtration. If you're serving beer from a serving tank you may want to avoid it's addition entirely as I would think you shouldn't have any shelf-life stability issues.
      Mike Jordan
      Brewmaster
      Boxing Cat Brewery
      Shanghai, P.R. China
      michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

Pricing on Polyclar and Divergan

I am looking to purchase a substantial quantity of Polyclar or
        Divergan and wondering what a reasonable price is ?
        Also which item is better to use ?

Thank you,
        Malcolm
        malgreen@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
        X