Brewmaster job description

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewmaster job description

I was wondering what the general job description for a brewmaster at a 1000-2000 Bbl./yr. brewery should be. Interested in both brewpub and microbrewery input. Not necessarily looking for pay info., though it would be of some interest. Just a job description for future reference. Seems like at this level a lot of the brewing and filtering is still done by the brewmaster. It seems to me it will be hard to make it to retirement at 65-70 years old and still be mixing and shoveling by hand in a 10 Bbl. brewhouse. What does everyone expect at this level?

Cheers!
    Paul Thomas
    Brewer
    Sockeye Brewing
    www.sockeyebrew.com

1000 bbls a year equals roughly two batches a week on a 10 bbl system, right? That's about as much as a person should have to do alone. Start adding a batch every couple of weeks and you get to around 1250 bbls a year, and at that point it'd be nice to have an assistant you could train to do cellarwork (as well as everything else there is to do, of course!). Two guys oughta be able to handle 2000 bbls.

If you own the brewery, and can grow your brands enough to hire others to do the physical labor, that'd be fine, but if you're approaching it from the employee side, well, keep in shape, because you're gonna be shoveling spent grain for a long, long time!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

I agree with Tim

2 batches a week is the limit for 1 person considering there is no packaging work. Also the brewery layout can restrict what a brewer can do, so the lay out is essential to keeping labor costs low.
      A brewers only concern in the business should be the beer and keeping it flowing. Any side jobs(to save the company money) will only distract the brewer for what is a very timing oriented production schedule.
      The actual job description can vary somewhat, it depends on whether the brewer is also working as the consultant(who usually produce's the recipe's for the brewery).
      Pay is really not part of any job description unless it refers to bonuses paid for whatever criteria the hammer out between them(owner, brewer).
      You really need to divulge more info on the setup of the brewery and what you expect before a job description can be written!
      Doug A Moller
      Brewmaster
      The Moller Brew House
      (405)226-3111

Comment

Just beer????

Just beer???? in a brewpub? Forget it! if you are a pub brewer, and you aren't involved in the marketing of your beer then you are working for a pub that isn't going to be around for more than a few years.

A good pub brewer is responsible for making wort, filtering, dispense, staff training, marketing, festivals, beer culture....

if you are working for a good company you can, in fact, retire from this job. Don't expect to make what a lawyer does, but a decent living isn't out of the question.

my company pays a good base salary, a series of bonuses based on cost of sales (including labor), fixed expenses, and sales. The bonus is based on a good budget, and accounts for 20% of my salary. If I make bonus, I can earn as much or more than the general manager. I aalso have 401K with matching, paid vacation, and very good health benifits.

my unit does 900 bbls a year, and I have an assistant.

Micros are a little different...but don't expect to be a rock star.
        Larry Horwitz

Comment

Marketing is great if its about the beer and you have the time!

Marketing is great if its about the beer and you have the time!
          Doug A Moller
          Brewmaster
          The Moller Brew House
          (405)226-3111

Comment

Working...
          X