Belgian tripel sugar quesiton

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belgian tripel sugar quesiton

Curious to hear how others account for insane costs for candi sugar. Ive brewed tripels with beet sugar, Belgian candi syrup, and cheap-o table sugar. Each recipe was hard to tell a difference on a 1bbl system. Currently converting our recipes to 15bbl, and obviously the candi sugar cost hits you in the face. Wondering who uses table vs candi, anyone make their own candi sugar? Process looks really simple.

Thanks.

I have had good success with a combination of Dextros and jaggery....

Comment

When I have brewed them I use corn sugar. The yeast ferment this type of sugar better that table sugar.

Jim Lieb

Comment

Clear Candi Sugar

If you're talking about clear candi sugar, then you can easily substitute dextrose or sucrose. I doubt there is any perceptible flavor difference although the way the yeast uptake or use the sugar may make a difference in the flavor and aroma compounds produced by yeast.

If you're talking about candi sugar with color, then it gets a little trickier- not all brown and dark sugars are created equally.

Comment

Candid sugar is simply inverted sugar. Table sugar can be converted by adding heat and a acid to break the sugar down.
          Sleiche!
          Bill
          Busted knuckles Brewing Co.

Comment

Originally posted by gray31 View Post
            Candid sugar is simply inverted sugar. Table sugar can be converted by adding heat and a acid to break the sugar down.

Yep, dissolve it with some water in your kettle as you mash, add some lactic acid (kinda winged it, 1 bbl water, 100lbs sugar, 100 ml lactic acid) heated it up to near boiling, stirring it occasionally for about an hour. Kept the heat on and monitored the color till it had a pale yellow hue to it. If I was brewing a Dubbel or a Strong Dark I would of started it sooner and cooked it down quite a bit more to darken it up.

JackK

Comment

If you REALLY believe in clear candi vs. table sugar, make your own per Jack. You can also find decent recipes on the web or in Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing.

If anything, you can use the process in your marketing: an educational conversation with consumers about how sugar can be used to make great beer, and how it can be transformed for varying flavor profiles.

As stated below, I've been more impressed by the range of flavors in different unrefined sugars. Piloncillo, jaggery/palm sugar, or even honey (speaking of high price - though a honey tripel sounds sublime). Radical Brewing has an excellent section on exploring and brewing with various sugars.

Dark candi syrup is a whole different story. The D-180 from Candi Syrup Inc or D2 from Dark Candi Inc are worth the premium (IMO), especially since the beers produced with them (dark, 'special' Belgian-style ales) can be sold at a higher per-ounce price.
              Kyle Kohlmorgen
              Process/Automation Consultant
              St. Louis, MO

Comment

If you're going for a traditional style tripel, dextrose or sucrose will do the job just fine.
                I've brewed a great tripel a few times with palm sugar, and one with honey, while not as traditional, the results were great.
                Like stated before, D180 and others are great for other Belgian style beers and other darker styles (D180 in a Rye Imperial Stout was fantastic).
                Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Comment

Turbinado Sugar

Turbinado Sugar. It's an excellent product for your brewing needs.

Lance
                  Rebel Malting Co.
                  Tonopah Brewing
                  Nevada, USA

Comment

Working...
                  X