Bad head retention after filtering with diatomaceus earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad head retention after filtering with diatomaceus earth

I need some advices with something that happened last time I brew, after I brewed 250 litres of a golden ale, with 35 kg of base malt with a kolbach value of 44, 2.5 kg of rolled oats and 4 kg of cane sugar, a protein rest at 50ºC 10 minutes, and then 65ªC and finally 75ªC,before filter, I fill some kegs and pressure it with co2, this beer had very good and impressive head retention, but, after filtering with diatomaceus earth it disapear, now my beer had poor head retention, what could be the reason for this?This is the first time I use earth to filter.I hope u can help me.
    best regards
    DANNKEN

hi,

can you give some more information - what grade of DE (ie. hyflo, standard). are you using a polish filter? was everything clean? any residue from the manufacture of the equipment (assuming the filter is new)? is it the glasses the beer is being poured into? is the co2 content the same as previous batches? is the hopping the same as previous? have you increased the length of the boil (overboiling can extract too much protein)?

nothing is more disappointing than a beer with no head.......

alex

Comment

Hi, grade of DE is hyflo, IM using a bag filter , the filter is new, everything seems clear,the beer was poured into the glasses, the co2 content is the same, but head dissapeared very soon, the hopping was a bit less,the boiling time was the same,but just how I said, before filtering It looked very good.

I hope u can help me
      best regards
      DANNKEN

Comment

Working...
      X