CIP for new tanks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIP for new tanks

I'm sure this question has been asked on here before, but I was having trouble finding the thread. My question is, how do you treat new equipment straight from the manufacturer as far as CIP goes? I know there is a little grease/oil and metal shavings from the manufacturing process, was just curious as to which chemicals to use.

Passivate

You'll definitely want to passivate your new tanks. I clean as normal, with caustic. Then, after a thorough rinse, I'll run a nitric acid passivation cycle. About a 10-20% solution at 120-140F for about a half hour.

It's nasty stuff, so make sure to use proper protective equipment (face shield, gloves, chemical apron, etc). That should take care of grease/oil/shavings.

Cheers,
    Mike

Comment

We're getting pretty close to taking delivery of our equipment, so I've been asking this same question. Based on discussions with our manufacturer (DME) and other breweries, I would suggest asking if your equipment manufacturer has cleaning/passivation guidelines. I would also ask your brewery chemical supplier (Five Star, Birko, etc.) if they have a recommended regimen for your initial cleaning/passivation.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X