PDA

View Full Version : Propylene Glycol

d_striker
01-18-2014, 08:49 PM
I received the Chill & Flow chiller that I ordered from ProRefrigeration and am almost ready to fill it up and start pumping it through our system.

I purchased USP food grade, 99.9% pure propylene glycol. I was planning on using my RO/DI water filter to mix with the glycol. Do I need to add any corrosion/rust inhibitors to my solution?

Starcat
01-19-2014, 06:39 AM
I received the Chill & Flow chiller that I ordered from ProRefrigeration and am almost ready to fill it up and start pumping it through our system.

I purchased USP food grade, 99.9% pure propylene glycol. I was planning on using my RO/DI water filter to mix with the glycol. Do I need to add any corrosion/rust inhibitors to my solution?

There are inhibitors available, but I am wondering why you did not just by the correct glycol product with the inhibitor already in it from Pro? They have exactly what is needed.
I would not suggest using RO or DI to dilute as they are both much more corrosive than tap water, especially DI.

http://glycol.ca/inhibitors/inhibitors/inhibitors.html

SC

d_striker
01-19-2014, 08:36 AM
How is DI water more corrosive than tap?

scmorgan
01-20-2014, 01:26 AM
Taking all the minerals out of the water makes it hungry for all other availible items, particuarly metals. Best explanation from a mate who is in water treatment.

I can get 'raw' glycol half the price of one premixed, so having the same issues when i need over 3000l in total of glycol. Trying to find the inhibitors now ...

d_striker
01-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Taking all the minerals out of the water makes it hungry for all other availible items, particuarly metals. Best explanation from a mate who is in water treatment.

I can get 'raw' glycol half the price of one premixed, so having the same issues when i need over 3000l in total of glycol. Trying to find the inhibitors now ...

Good explanation. I assumed distilled water was less corrosive as that is what you're supposed to use in car radiators to minimize corrosion.

chronolite
01-20-2014, 08:01 PM
Good explanation. I assumed distilled water was less corrosive as that is what you're supposed to use in car radiators to minimize corrosion.

When you add the glycol to the RO/DI water, it drops the resistance and is no longer reactive water. The solubility of the glycol acts as the minerals in the water. If you have it around, you can more accurately calculate your thermal transfer formulas because tap water and RO/DI water will be slightly different. The only reason I would use tap water in my chiller is if we didn't make RO/DI water in-plant already, because it's generally way more expensive.

SECOND EDIT:

I talked to the guy that helped us set it up and he said that we did indeed ONLY USE PURE DI/RO water and inhibitor and pure glycol. We could have used city water if the calcium hardness was BELOW 100ppm.

d_striker
01-21-2014, 11:16 PM
Thanks Dan.

So my takeaway from your post is that it actually is better to use RO/DI water for less corrosion.

d_striker
01-22-2014, 12:14 PM

You can get FDA ADPAC inhibitor from ChemWorld. 2 gallons treats 55 gallons of glycol. Make sure to get the FDA approved version.

http://www.chemworld.com/Glycol-Corrosion-Inhibitor-s/1988.htm

Stephbaker
12-28-2018, 01:58 AM

I purchased USP food grade, 99.9% pure propylene glycol from propylene glycol suppliers (https://www.beroeinc.com/category-intelligence/propylene-glycol-market/). I was planning on using my RO/DI water filter to mix with the glycol. Do I need to add any corrosion/rust inhibitors to my solution?

I wouldn't recommend you to mix the propylene glycol with corrosive inhibitors. It is pretty dangerous to be dealing with such material. Just buy proylene glycol with the corrosive agent added to it. That would be the safest option. I am aware that 99.9% pure propylene glycol of USP food grade is non-toxic but the corrosive agents are. Avoid such circumstances where you have to deal with chemicals and mostly the ones you yourself has to come in direct contact in. But I would like to share the corrosive agents that are usually added to propylene glycol and water mixture to avoid corrosion of the heating system or cooling system. The traditionnally used inhibitors are silicates and phosphates. American systems use both these inhibitors but european vehicles usually do not have phosphates but other inhibitors including silicates. But then japanese made systems use phosphates but not silicates. I am not sure which make is ProRefrigeration as I haven't looked into that. I am still new on the forum hence I am still finding my way. Please take care keeping the make in mind and your safety.