Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spunding Plan

Hey guys,

Just wondering if someone could take a look at my plan (both equipment setup and process) for setting up a few of our 60bbl fermenters for spunding. We're not looking to fully carbonate our beers via spunding. We would just like to carbonate naturally in the fermenter to the extent possible, and then diffuse additional CO2 via a stone in our brites to hit our target carb levels (usually 2.6-2.7 vols). I could use another set of eyes to verify that I'm thinking about this correctly.

We have 2.5" TC PRV ports on the top of our fermenters, so I'm thinking of the following equipment setup:

2.5" TC to 1.5" TC end cap reducer > 1.5" TC tee > one side of 1.5" TC tee goes to Barby + Kuhner bunging device (1-3 bar rated) > other side of 1.5" TC tee goes to 1.5" TC pressure and vacuum relief valve (1 bar)

Our spunding process would be something like this:

Ferment until within 1º - 1.5ºP of target FG > set bunging device to 1 bar > close CIP ball valve to stop blowoff > let fermentation finish

Once fermentation is complete, we would transfer under pressure (at least equal to fermenter tank pressure) to our brites for additional carbonation via carb stone.

Any suggestions or comments would be very much appreciated!

Matt

Please don't do that...

You have 2.5 inch SRVs installed now. Don't defeat or derate them. Leave them be unless you're cleaning them. Instead of climbing on top of your fermenters, messing with safety devices, and perhaps introducing contamination, install the 1.5 inch B-K spunding device on the CIP arm. Leave the CIP valve open to allow spunding devices to work. Set spunding device to 1-2psi less than SRVs. When finished, close the CIP valve and remove the spunding device to the next tank that needs one. I use one spunding device to service 8 tanks. Otherwise, your approach is solid. You might wish to crash cool after removal of spunding device and remove yeast daily, or twice daily over the course of conditioning. You will require a bit of touch-up carbonation in BBT to elevate carbonation levels due to lowering of your temperature. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

I agree with everything Phil says and will add that you might want to have PRV's that blow higher than 1 bar especially if they are the non-adjustable Definox valves because often they blow lower than what is rated. I have a couple of those that blow at 13 psi and get less natural carbonation in those tanks. My tank manufacturer wouldn't supply 2 bar PRV's because the tanks are not ASME rated. Also if your looking to get as much natural carbonation as possible, bung your tanks earlier. I bung 2.5-3 degrees plato above terminal.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Ed Tringali
      Brewmaster ~ Consultant
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hey thanks guys! This is very helpful.

Comment

Anyone know where I can buy a Kieselmann bunging device? The bunging devices sold by GW Kent are 1-3 bar, but I'd prefer a Kieselmann as it can maintain pressures below 1 bar.

Comment

Working...
          X