TC pressure guages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TC pressure guages

Any good vendors of TC pressure gauges for tank?

We have had a ton of shitty ones that all break fairly quickly. Looking for something reliable that will last more than a couple of months. Or is this just one of those things that need to be replaced often?

Cheers
    Beejay
    Pipeworks Brewing Company

Are these for your fermenters/brites? You might be using ones that aren't rated for your CIP temps/chemicals.

Winters, Dwyer, and Ashcroft are all decent models that (can be) budget-friendly. Usually Ashcroft is the cheapest sani model. I like Anderson when an extra $200/gauge isn't a big issue, and IFM when you need a gauge/transmitter combo.

I would check Grainger and Cole-Palmer. McMaster usually doesn't let you pick the make.
    Kyle Kohlmorgen
    Process/Automation Consultant
    St. Louis, MO

Comment

Actually McMaster will do anything you want. You just have to ask. I mean ANYTHING.
      Jason Raimondi
      Anderson Valley Brewing

Comment

Originally posted by SouthHouseBrew View Post
        Are these for your fermenters/brites? You might be using ones that aren't rated for your CIP temps/chemicals.

Winters, Dwyer, and Ashcroft are all decent models that (can be) budget-friendly. Usually Ashcroft is the cheapest sani model. I like Anderson when an extra $200/gauge isn't a big issue, and IFM when you need a gauge/transmitter combo.

I would check Grainger and Cole-Palmer. McMaster usually doesn't let you pick the make.

I had never even considered the fact that certain gauges may not be made to handle the CIP cycle. Yes these are for ferms and brites. For the most parat these are gauges that came with tanks, which to be fair seemed pretty cheapo in the first place, but none have been in use more than two years, many less than a year and they all seem to be dying on us.

Typically we are CIPing with 160F PBW followed by saniclean. We do passivate our tanks regularly as well. Perhaps the 16o F is problematic.

Thanks for the advice
        Beejay
        Pipeworks Brewing Company

Comment

If you are getting ones on a TC fitting, can you remove them prior to cleaning a tank? I have found that if they are left in line of cip, the imediate pressure shock by turning on a cip pump wears them out pretty quick. If they don't break, they more then likely will give a bad reading. Also, if I end up with the cheap ones, I take out the rubber stopper and put electrical tape over the port to keep out any moisture. That would be for the non-oil filled type. Better to maintain than to replace.

Cheers,

Scott
          Scott Roche'

Comment

what about these?

I don't have two years use on them but these seem to be fine so far. I wish they were a little cheaper but.....

Scott LaFollette
            Fifty West Brewing Company
            Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by Malty View Post
              If you are getting ones on a TC fitting, can you remove them prior to cleaning a tank? I have found that if they are left in line of cip, the imediate pressure shock by turning on a cip pump wears them out pretty quick...
              Just one more thing to remember (or forget). Plus, you want to minimize opening the fermenter after sani. You also want to make sure the gauge is clean/sani along with the rest of the fermenter. If you're replacing the gauges anyway, might as well buy ones that can hold up.

He brought up a good point - you also want to make sure they're washdown rated. The stainless sani gauges normally are.

If the gauges came with your tanks, and the manufacturer recommended the CIP cycle, maybe you can get them to give you proper replacements?
              Kyle Kohlmorgen
              St. Louis, MO

Comment

Originally posted by yap View Post
                I don't have two years use on them but these seem to be fine so far. I wish they were a little cheaper but.....

http://www.gwkent.com/digital-sanita...-gauges-2.html
                That's a sweet deal compared to what I posted!

It does look like a threaded gauge on a tri-clamp fitting (from the rough picture). If so, the deadspace in the fitting (or the threads) could be a biogrowth point.

It also has a glass cover, which is prohibited in food plants. Probably not a regulatory issue in a brewery - its just fragile.
                Kyle Kohlmorgen
                St. Louis, MO

Comment

Make me an offer

Comment

Unhappy with these...

Originally posted by yap View Post

http://www.gwkent.com/digital-sanita...-gauges-2.html
                    Bought 10 of them and I am happy with MAYBE 4 of them. I have found them to be incredibly inaccurate. Phone calls to vendor at no avail.. They came packaged horribly and the metal diaphragms on gauge were all dented. Just received two new tanks and they came with Mijilco and will have to see how they work.
                    Mill House Brewing Co.
                    Poughkeepsie, NY

Comment

Working...
                    X