Stupid glycol inlet/outlet issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid glycol inlet/outlet issue

Our 7bbl tanks came with (as I now know) 3/4" threaded pipe nipples for connecting glycol to the tanks. I mistakenly ordered everything in 1" - hose barbs, ball valves, elbows etc for the drops. I can solve this issue by using a 3/4" to 1" threaded bushing on every inlet and outlet - this however adds a little more weight to the tank nipple (which appears stable enough) and costs marginally more.

The upside I'd figure would be more flow to and out of the tank back to our 2" header. Other than the marginal increase in cost and added weight to the whole drop assembly, should I go with the 1" or return everything and drop down to 3/4"?

You should be ok with the 1". the pipe is, in fact, stronger and more rigid than the 3/4" (remember the early Cannondale bicycles?)

The size difference isn't enough to make significant turbulence problems. Just make sure you use a union before a slip joint going into the jacket! (ask me why i say that...ha!)

Comment

Originally posted by Natrat View Post
      You should be ok with the 1". the pipe is, in fact, stronger and more rigid than the 3/4" (remember the early Cannondale bicycles?)

The size difference isn't enough to make significant turbulence problems. Just make sure you use a union before a slip joint going into the jacket! (ask me why i say that...ha!)
      Thanks for the reply. I decided to go with the 1" anyway as the tank inlet pipe seems sturdy enough in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by woohokie View Post
        Thanks for the reply. I decided to go with the 1" anyway as the tank inlet pipe seems sturdy enough in the end.
        One tip I can possibly offer if any. about 2 years ago I hooked 4 fermenters and 4 brights up to my glycol unit. essentially I did a loop that left the glycol unit, hit the inlet port on all tanks then after the last inlet and on the way back to the chiller tied into the outlet ports on all the tanks. My main header was 2". Problem I have is that my very last tank that is hooked up does not have much flow through the inlet to the outlet as there is nothing that makes the glycol want to go through the inlet and back through the outlet but just stay in the header. Essentially I need some kind of restriction in the header to make it want to push through the tank. Man that sound confusing. Needless to say it works but just takes some time to cool, luckily its just a bright tank and is simple to keep stable anyway.
        Just my two cents! Good luck! and yes, 1" is much better than 3/4.

The only other issue I had is that my 1" tank ports were stainless(as yours are im sure, and the threaded 1" fittings I used were brass(pex). The threads on the brass were very sharp and did not want to seal very well to the stainless. So I ended up having to run each fitting through a threader to soften the threads, otherwise they wanted to leak!

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
        X