Small Malting Facility/Brewery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Malting Facility/Brewery

Just wondering if someone would be wiling to offer some advise on a new small malting facility/brewery we are putting together? Everything that goes into our beer will come directly from our farm. We have built a malting facility and will use a roaster to produce different malts. Please respond to derekparlove@gmail.com. Thank you.

I see the value in the farm to glass idea. BUT, farming, malting and brewing are three complete, difficult and time consuming jobs, each to themselves. A farm brewery is challenge enough. The effort involved in each endeavor is tremendous. And to grow enough barley, and to malt and kiln it to sustain a PROFITABLE brewery is a huge effort. Don't underestimate the amount of effort involved in each piece of this puzzle. I am familiar with a couple of micro maltsters, a bunch of farmers and a host of brewers. While I think they would all be curious about your efforts, I think they would all be skeptical about being able to accomplish each step with enough success to have the final product (the beer) of a quality to make all the effort worth it for one group of folks.

I say. Instead. Go local. Have a local farmer grow the barley. Let the local maltster malt it. And let the brewer (presumably what you wanna do anyway) brew. Each is efficient and cost effective at their respective role. Reduce your risk. I say pick one.

I know this is not what you wanna hear. And while I admire the desire to do it all as one, you do want to sleep at least a couple hours a day. (and not worry about crop failure, malting disasters and downy mildew) AND we haven't even begun to talk about hops!

Good luck in whatever you choose.
    Best regards,
    P

Comment

contact Lance Jergensen at Rebel Malting in Reno, Nevada
      Mike Lanzarotta
      Commercial Real Estate Broker
      finding space for breweries in Southern California
      former owner and brewer, Crown City Brewery, Pasadena CA

Comment

Working...
      X