Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone brewing on a 10hl JOH. ALBRECHT system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone brewing on a 10hl JOH. ALBRECHT system?

I recently got a job at as head brewer at a brew pub that uses a 10HL JOH. ALBRECHT brewhouse. I was hoping someone here had some experience brewing on this system, it is pretty straight forward, but maybe you know something I don't.

What a great kit

Yes, I brewed on this system before.
    It was fantastic!
    I love german made equipment and engineering!

feel free to call or email with any questions.
    Alex Postelnek, Lead Brewer
    Funky Buddha Brewery
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33334
    (561) 945 - 4584
    alex@funkybuddhabrewery.com

Comment

Beautiful equipment. Any tricks would be due to your exact piping setup...the vessels are wonderful. Are you whirlpooling in the kettle? I found that a faster, shorter whirlpool gave me a more compact hop cone. Extended whirlpools left junk all over the bottom.

I'd say good luck, but you are already lucky to be on an Albrecht!

Comment

I have a wonerful love/hate relationship

TamingtheBrett-
        Hit me up with a PM with questions. Been brewing on Albrecht 10hL system for 2 1/2 years now. I love most things about it but there are somethings I just despise sometimes like making IPAs. System doesn't like a lot of hops!
        Cheers,

Comment

NATRAT, the piping seems to be my biggest issue with the system. Having only one pump makes it time consuming, having to wait for each step to finish in order to clean. Any efficient methods you guys have been using. My current process is as follows. Mash in the BK, then transfer to the mash tun with the kettle mixer on 1 and pump on 1. I then vorlauf via a hose I have attached to the out pipe on the upper level. then I transfer through the beautiful grant, stirring the agitator in the mash tun every 10 minutes or so (is this the preferred process?). I am basically batch sparging through a pump from our HLT, I have thought about trying to fly sparge via the CIP valves atop the mash tun but the previous brewer did not do it that way so who knows. Once I have hit my target pre boil gravity in the BK I shut the pump off and close the BK valve and start cleaning the mash tun. After the boil is over I whirlpool for the time it takes to transfer over to the whirlpool vessel then I do a 10 minute self whirlpool which takes up the pump and all existing pipes. After a 10-15 minutes whirlpool depending on the beer, I Pump hot water through my heat exchanger and out through my FV transfer line for about 10 minutes, In which the whirlpool is just sitting there waiting without any whirlpool action and the nasty boil kettle is getting harder and harder to clean the longer it sits. Finally after my transfer to FV is complete I can spray out the BK and WP and start cleaning. This is where I could use some time shaving off minutes. I normally do about a 3 bbl caustic soak in the BK overnight and then CIP for 25 minutes after I heat the water back up and CIP the MT and WP with the same caustic. Then a hot water rinse and acid rinse. Is this necessary after every brew? I would really appreciate any feedback and methods you guys are using. And what beautiful equipment it is when its all shined up.

Comment

This system have a internal colandria boiler.? What are your Mash/kettle internal dimensions.

Lance
            Tonopah Brewing
            Nevada USA

Comment

JOh. Albrecht system

Taming-
              Here is what we do. Its not the most efficient on the wort loss but does save some time.
              We mash in the same as you. We do xfr about 1HL of our strike water into the W/P to clear out process piping later. Depending on the brew we are making either single infusion or for lagers a multi-step decotion mash. XFR mash with pump on 1 and we have the rakes at the fastest speed. Once mash is XFR turn off rakes and we then underlet from out HLT for 1min.(to push any small grain particles under the false back up into grain bed, really helps Vorlouf). Let mash sit till still. While mash is resting I open kettle out and rinse kettle. I then use the water in the W/P to flush out all of the hidden mash out of the piping. especially the W/P inlet always has a good plug of mash in it other wise you'll find mash in your W/P after XFR wort from kettle. Vorlouf. WE then fly sparge through the CIP manifold. have a pump from HLT to manifold. Fastest sparge to date 1.5Hr average 2hr.(won't even tell you the longest). Usually only use the rakes once half way through sparge.(Unless big adjunct mash and we start compacting. Boil as normal. XFR to whirpool and we rest for 20 mins. While resting I take the wort in the pipes as a loss so I can do a quick scrub on the kettle. your right the kettle becomes a bitch to clean if the hops and trub is left for the whole knock out. then knock out.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions. We a constantly trying new things on this system. Two weeks ago was batch #200 did a cereal mash with wild rice in it and it worked wonderfully.
              Cheers,

Comment

Working...
              X