Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TTB Verbage regarding blending vs 100% barrel aged beers

Hello fellow barrel folks,

Does anyone know for sure if one must state "blended" on labels for beers that were aged in barrels. The available info isn't crystal clear. We have done a few beers where the entire beer was aged in a rum barrel and labeled it "barrel aged". TTB loved it---no problems. As we begin to bring our beers from our barrel program online where various beers are blended with young beer that never saw a barrel, I'd be curious/appreciative to see what other brewers claim on the label that was approved regarding any blending verbage on either the label or statement of process/fomulation.

Best Regards
    Derek

I have seen beers bottled with blended barrel-aged and non-barrel-aged beer labeled both as just barrel-aged and as blended. Beers that are blended but labeled merely as barrel-aged that come to mind are Boulevard's Rye-on-Rye, Firestone Walker's DBA and Rahr's Whiskey Warmer.

I have not seen TTB guidance on the issue (which does not mean it isn't out there) but the TTB is concerned with consumers knowing that oak or barrels were used in the production of the beer. Whether barrels touched all of it or a small amount of the blend would still require the label to state the use of barrels. I would not expect the TTB to care whether the beer is blended any more than it requires you to label the lb/BBL quantity of fruit you might use in a beer. Of course, your state may have particular requirements about how blended beers are labeled.
    DFW Employment Lawyer
    http://kielichlawfirm.com

Comment

Working...
    X