Yeast not dropping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast not dropping

I'm getting ready to dry hop a batch. Gravity is at 1.016. Crashed temp to 60F overnight. Tried to collect yeast - but only a small amount of trub came out - no yeast. Opened the top and there is a full mat of yeast floating on top. No change in 3 days. This is a fresh pitch of US-05. Any suggestions? I'd prefer to dry hop warm - but if I need to crash colder then that's what I'll do.
    Prost!
    Eric Brandjes
    Cole Street Brewery
    Enumclaw, WA

I think you need to get it colder to drop the yeast. Then you can warm it back up for dryhoppin.g
    Troy Robinson
    Quirk Brewing
    Walla Walla

Comment

to get the yeast to drop out

You need to first to chill the beer down to 50 deg to get the yeast to go into dormant for 24 hr. Then lower it down to 33 deg for 24 hr then the yeast will be down in the cone. So you can harvest it for the next brew. Now you can hop the tank.

Mike Converse
      Head Brewer
      Prairie Fire Brewing Co

Comment

If I remember right vinnie from Russian river only drops the temp to 60 degrees to drop yeast before dry hopping. How far Is 1.016 away from your predicted FG? The yeast are most likely still working and don't want to drop out, I'd let it finish more and then dry hop.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'm at target FG. I've never had an issue with yeast dropping (rather not dropping) like this. The beer from the sample valve is crystal clear - no yeast in the cone, just a big mass still floating on top. I'm going to crash tonight and see if that will drop the yeast. I'll just plan on dry hopping a little longer in the cold.
          Prost!
          Eric Brandjes
          Cole Street Brewery
          Enumclaw, WA

Comment

dry hopping in the cold increases vegetal flavor. You could maybe try stirring up the krausen on top with a stainless spoon to try to get it to drop. it seems weird that all of your yeast would be at the top of the fermenter like that..

Comment

Working...
            X