View Full Version : Oregon brewery wants to sell in California

02-25-2014, 08:26 AM
Hey all,
Thanks again for all the previous help. All of you on Probrewer make for a fantastic resource.
We are a very small Oregon brewery, but we are right on the California border and have had inquiries about selling our beer to businesses in CA. We have tried searching the internet and the CA liqour stuff, called numbers we have found and emailed some "sources". We haven't gotten anywhere. Anyone have any info or leads for us to follow up on? Much appreciated.

02-26-2014, 06:36 AM
Thanks Craig.
We are too small for a distributor at this point and we are self distributing. We are expanding our radius slowly. I will contact a distributor to see what info I can get from them. The state seems like a maze.
Thanks again.

03-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Something to consider, if you haven't already, is that once you start shipping products across state lines you will deal with not only both states' ABC but also the TTB on each beer that may be sold across the state line because you are launching those beers into interstate commerce. It would be worthwhile to see how much additional work TTB approval, where necessary, will add to your sales process.

03-03-2014, 01:14 PM
To sell beer in California you will need to get an out of state brewers certificate. As an out of state brewer you are only allowed to sell your beer to a holder of CA ABC type 10 or type 9 license. Most beer & wine wholesalers (type 17) in the state hold a type 9 in conjunction with their type 17.

You are NOT allowed to self-distribute (sell directly to a retailer) as an out-of-state brewery unless you get licensed in the state as a type 17 (must have a premise location in the state to have a type 17).

Out of state brewers certificates are issued by the main ABC office in Sacramento, not the districts offices.

Hope that helps.