Whirlpool Cladding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool Cladding?

Any suggestions on what to wrap around a whirlpool exterior so that I don't burn my arm off (again) should I bump into it?

This may help

Something like this may help.

It has a insulation value of R 3.7 and is .31" thick. Not sure how much this would help but it would probably at the very least keep you from getting burned real bad. It will probably still get warm to hot but wouldn't burn you like a single walled stainless vessel with 200+ degree wort in it.

Cheers

Comment

I doubt that Reflectix would stand the heat of a whirlpool. You'd probably need to go with fiberglass or mineral wool insulation, which would be difficult to clad well enough to seal it for a wash-down environment. I can attest that spray foam, rigid construction foam sheets, and Rubitex (soft rubber insulation) foams will not tolerate our 195F HL system.

Welding a sheet of SS on stand-offs for the area you're likely to contact would probably do the trick, and allow for some wort cooling, to boot.
      Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
      Terminal Gravity Brewing,
      Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
        Welding a sheet of SS on stand-offs for the area you're likely to contact would probably do the trick, and allow for some wort cooling, to boot.
        I had a thought like this... this is certainly a good option but wanted to see if there was an easier way out first.

Comment

The Reflectix should work. We use some in the brewery and I used to put it on my homebrew kettle and wood fired smoker. It only ever melted when it got too close to the flame.

Comment

How about an electric fence? I don't see why you'd want to insulate it, you've just finished boil, whirlpool and are in a rest waiting for it to settle before cooling it asap, correct? Again, Isn't the idea to cool the wort ASAP? Build some sort of guard so some bonehead doesn't bang into it. Or fire proof cover alls perhaps ; ) Cheers.

Comment

so that I don't burn my arm off (again)
              Thats why. Most breweries are pretty tight on space and it is a safety issue. You wouldnt want anyone burning themselves due to clumsiness or ignorance in the case of an outside contractor or someone on a tour wandering off.

Comment

Working...
              X