Brite and carb stone stupid question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brite and carb stone stupid question.

Hey everyone. This is my first brite tank and it's late, so I can't call conical fermentors.

My stupid question;

Tonight I was using our first brite tank, (32gal) small yes I know. And we keep having liquid come back through the carb stone into the c02 line. I have the tank carbine at 10psi, but if I reduce any of the pressure the slightest , liquid comes back through the line. Any way to avoid this? My thought now that I am home is reduce pressure in tank so I can reduce pressure in the brite... Is that correct?

I feel like an idiot sorry 18 hour day. I just realized that if the tank is at 15psi, and I reduce pressure on the c02 of course liquid would come back through....... I guess never mind. Solved my own issue.

So I guess the question I have now is, obviously at 15psi it's a foaming mess, do I lower pressure to fill kegs? I just feel lost. I might reach out to some other brewery's to ask for some guidance. Thanks for any input.

Comment

What's your target carbonation volume, whatever it is you should be able to figure out the target pressure based on the temp of your beer. Say it's 13 psi... My advice would be: Dial back pressure the stone and tank to just above that pressure, maybe 13.3 psi. If the tank raises pressure above that after a while(which I'm sure it will) bring it back down to the same pressure until they equalize. Once they equalize at your target pressure Then fill your kegs.

Comment

and get a check valve for your carb stone so it doesn't bleed back into your CO2 line....
        Scott LaFollette
        Fifty West Brewing Company
        Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by Junkyard View Post
          What's your target carbonation volume, whatever it is you should be able to figure out the target pressure based on the temp of your beer. Say it's 13 psi... My advice would be: Dial back pressure the stone and tank to just above that pressure, maybe 13.3 psi. If the tank raises pressure above that after a while(which I'm sure it will) bring it back down to the same pressure until they equalize. Once they equalize at your target pressure Then fill your kegs.

So if I'm looking for a 3.3-3.5 carb volume we are sitting at 37-38deg, It looks like I want it to hold 19-22psi. Do I constantly have c02 on or do I get it to 20psi, turn c02 off and hold it at that pressure?

Comment

This is the thread you want:

Follow everything gitchegumee says, including the McMaster rotameter and you will be all set!

Comment

Originally posted by onetree View Post
              So if I'm looking for a 3.3-3.5 carb volume we are sitting at 37-38deg, It looks like I want it to hold 19-22psi. Do I constantly have c02 on or do I get it to 20psi, turn c02 off and hold it at that pressure?
              in that case i would crank it up to 19-20 psi, then wait a while, you will eventually figure out how long you need to wait for the carbonation level to equalize from experience with your tanks. but a good way to check if its equalized at 19 psi would be to turn the carb stone down to 18 psi (or off for that matter) and if the tank holds at 19 then you should be carb'ed correctly. pretty simple stuff really..

Dan

Comment

Are you carbing beer or cider? Those carb levels are awfully high. Unless you are serving them at your own place and have the draft setup dialed in for those levels you will have problems.

Comment

Working...
                X