Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid question regarding cold crashing

Hi,

We have 3 non-jacketed 1BBL fermenters and need to cold crash. Currently our cold room is a non-insulated garage in the winter (works perfectly). However, now winter is basically over we need a new way to cold crash. Do you think if we strap bags of ice around the outside of the tank the liquid inside would get cold enough to crash? I know it's a stupid question but for now, with limited resources...we gotta do what we gotta do.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew

I've got the same issues and have been pondering solutions. That might work for a small fv, but the time and mess it would cause I don't think would be worth it. I've used ice baths in the past with moderate success for small batches. Running a cooling coil around the outside or possibly an internal one might solve the problem. There are several designs for these on here. I'd take a look those before strapping ice bags to my tanks.
    Sleiche!
    Bill
    Busted knuckles Brewing Co.

Comment

Cold Room

Build a cheap cold room.......

examples>>>>>>

http://www.storeitcold.com/testimonials.html

We built one and works like a champ and have been using it for almost 2.5 years with basically zero issues.
      Cheers!
      -Alan

Comment

im assuming your 1bbl fermenters have no temperature control if you cant cold crash them...

page 2 of that thread describes a cheap way to temp control, and cold crash your fermenters for that matter... on a budget

Dan

Comment

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for the great information and links. It's very much appreciated. Once we get a location and cold room it seems as though the Coldbot is the way to go (in the beginning anyway). In the meantime we will try waiting a little longer after fermentation is complete and giving Irish Moss a try.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Comment

Working...
          X