Leaking manway - need some suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaking manway - need some suggestions

I just purchased 4 tanks from PBST and 3 of them are exhibiting leaking. Sometimes they're fine. Othertimes, they're fine initially and then (usually overnight when no one is around to notice!) they'll allow a steady trickle to stream out.

The only thing I can think of is they need a stiffer/fatter gasket. The backpressure when we void the tank of sani (this is after tightening the manway) is enough to pop the gasket off of the door! Never saw that happen. This leads me to believe the gasket isn't seating correctly even though we've installed it right - perhaps even tightening the door is causing it to shift in a way that compromises its ability to hold true. We've even tried tightening extra tight by inserting some pipes onto each handle for added leverage - this actually makes the problem worse most times.

Often the leak will occur right away. So we then need to transfer the wort to an open tank, shift the damn gasket around, retransfer back to the original FV and pray. This usually works and I believe it is because there never is any reverse pressure being applied to the door.

I will say one thing that is less than funny is trying to get a Chinese fabricator's rep to diagnose or even help with the issue. Good luck with that! You better believe you get what you pay for...

Any other theories or does this make sense?

Ahhh... something I have experience with. 4 new PBST tanks here, 4 leaky manways. Try this - With the manway opened, remove the arm that holds the door. Now close it without the arm attached, my bet is you won't have a leak. My arms were bent at the wrong angle causing the door not to be able to square up correctly. What I ended up having to do was grasp the arm in a vice, and get a proper bend at the last bend near the door.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Rob

P.S. - This also means our tanks weren't pressure tested or properly passivated. I would recommend you do both yourself.

Comment

Wow, that's amazing Rob... some track record they've got going. I will try that, thanks very much!

BTW, did you speak with Frank about that? He claimed to me this was a problem he's never experienced before...

Comment

Yes I talked to him about it - he even questioned if maybe I was closing the manway correctly.. Hope you get it figured out.

R

Comment

Wow, same story here! Did he offer any assistance at all?

Comment

I replaced every gasket they sent within a week. PBSTs gaskets are small and not good quality. Take some masking tape tape it all the way around the outer edge of your manway rip it right where it meets the other end. Pull it off and measure it, then call Brewery gaskets . com and tell them the length and they will get you a real gasket. JMO
            Joel Halbleib
            Partner / Zymurgist
            Hive and Barrel Meadery
            6302 Old La Grange Rd
            Crestwood, KY
            www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Just wanted to check in to see if you made any progress on this? Did you try what I recommended?

Rob

Comment

It was the gaskets! As well, I now keep the manway open while voiding the sani and then seal up the tank once all the sani is out and pressurize the tank at that point.

Comment

Working...
                X