Flowmeter & Pipe Sizing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flowmeter & Pipe Sizing

TTB is demanding we purchase a flowmeter to determine Taxable volume coming into/out of the Bright Tank. Apparently just counting the number of kegs filled isn't enough for them.

Looking at the GPI G Series but at 1.5" the flowrates would need to be between 6.7 - 67 Gallons Per Minute. Heavily doubt our counterpressure Keg Filler even with 3 heads would ever approach these minimums. Even our 3000 Bottle per Hour bottling line would only be able to JUST approach the 5 Gallon Per Minute mark. Thought about using a 1" Flowmeter but that would involve possibly creating turbulence before we even fill the kegs which seems like a terrible idea. Definitely not an engineer so I could greatly use some suggestions on a good work around here.

Flowweter

You are right about the turbulence problem but this can be rectified by a length of tube on the inlet and outlet of the meter the same size as the meter. The straight tube is usually around 12 x the pipe diameter or in the case of a 1" meter, you would need 12" of tube on the inlet and outlet. The meter manufacturer will tell you how long this has to be.

Before you invest in a meter find out what accuracy the TTB expects the meter to have. A small paddle meter can be quite inaccurate (+/- 2%) which probably is too much for this application. You may need to get a mag meter or a mass meter to meet their requirements.
    Your CPE Systems Team!
    CPE Systems Inc.
    800-668-2268
    CPEsystems.com
    Thinkpumps.com
    sales@cpesystems.com

Comment

Have to have it?

Did they tell you they wanted to see your meter? Or did they just tell you you had to have one?

They didn't ask us how we tax determined, but a friend of mine told them he had a flow meter when they asked and they never checked up on it. He never bought one and uses finished packaged beer to tax determine...

Just saying

Comment

What are you deeming as your "tax determined tanks"? The brite tank itself or the kegs? My understanding was always that if you deem the keg to be the tax determined vessel then you can use keg counts to determine tax volumes. If you use a brite tank as tax determined and then go into kegs then I guess I could see them demanding better accounting of losses.

Unless they have changed the rules in the last 2 years, using kegs as tax vessels shouldn't be a problem. LOTS of small breweries do this and thus don't need flowmeters etc.

Either that or you got an eager beaver of a reviewer who doesn't know how things work...
        Scott LaFollette
        Fifty West Brewing Company
        Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by porter View Post
          Did they tell you they wanted to see your meter? Or did they just tell you you had to have one?

They didn't ask us how we tax determined, but a friend of mine told them he had a flow meter when they asked and they never checked up on it. He never bought one and uses finished packaged beer to tax determine...

Just saying
          They asked how we were determining the amount produced and I stated Filled kegs. I was told that wasn't enough and demanded either a calibrated sight gauge (none of our fermenters/BBT have a sight gauge at all). Just sent the TTB an email asking what accuracy they are requiring as well as if they have any suggestions on what type of meter to use.

Also, the inspector had us label the BBT as the Tax Determination Tank, he was a stickler for every rule humanly possible, even for a brand new brewery

Comment

Working...
          X