Glycol Chiller dual purpose use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glycol Chiller dual purpose use

I have googled and searched on here and can't find my answer. Is there any reason we can't utilize the glycol chiller that will be keeping our FV and BBT cool to cool our tap lines as well?

I figure I just run a line of gylcol over to the walk in where the tap system is and run it with the tap lines and back. That could save us purchasing another glycol chiller just for that.

Am I missing something on this?

Not a good idea.

I think what you're missing is thinking about set points on each chiller.

Our large tank glycol system is set at 24 degrees--having the glycol below freezing helps with faster heat transfer.

Our line chiller is much warmer, about 35 degrees, to maintain proper serving temperature.

Also, when knocking out or crashing, our large chiller has a substantial temperature swing.

If you spend now on the extra unit, you'll be happier in the long run. Redundancy and control are the two biggest benefits.

Cheers!
    Mike Elliott
    Head Brewer
    Philipsburg Brewing Co.
    Montana

Comment

Yep, wasn't thinking of the base point of the liquid before it enters the system.

I suppose I could account for some lose on the way to the walk in but it would be a guessing game and probably not very consistent so therefore not worth the gamble for ~$1000 upfront difference.

Thank for that, figured I must have been missing something.

Comment

Working...
      X