Are Keggles FDA Approved for Brewing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Keggles FDA Approved for Brewing?

I have an opportunity to open a small nano/growler fill brewery, in a lease free, appropriately zoned building. I have a 3 vessel setup using old kegs with the tops cut off and am thinking about just trying to use this small 10 gallon system to get started. Are old stainless steel kegs FDA approved for brewing?

Originally posted by yournotpeter View Post
    I have an opportunity to open a small nano/growler fill brewery, in a lease free, appropriately zoned building. I have a 3 vessel setup using old kegs with the tops cut off and am thinking about just trying to use this small 10 gallon system to get started. Are old stainless steel kegs FDA approved for brewing?
    The FDA generally (in broad terms at least) doesn't have anything to do with most brewery processes, unless you are making cider, root beer, or other beverages below certain thresholds for alcohol.

The TTB also generally doesn't care what you brew in so much as how you account for the inputs and outputs, and how (at least if you're going to market across state lines) your product is represented (label-wise and recipe-wise).

Business plan and labor aside, keggles would probably work just fine. There are lots of places brewing either pilot batches or, in some cases, production batches on a SABCO system.

Comment

Originally posted by 515Dave View Post
      The FDA generally (in broad terms at least) doesn't have anything to do with most brewery processes, unless you are making cider, root beer, or other beverages below certain thresholds for alcohol.

The TTB also generally doesn't care what you brew in so much as how you account for the inputs and outputs, and how (at least if you're going to market across state lines) your product is represented (label-wise and recipe-wise).

Business plan and labor aside, keggles would probably work just fine. There are lots of places brewing either pilot batches or, in some cases, production batches on a SABCO system.
      Outstanding info and advice...thank you!

Comment

Your state/local health and zoning entities may have different ideas about the use of propane burners inside a building, if that is what you are using to heat the keggles.
        DFW Employment Lawyer
        http://kielichlawfirm.com

Comment

Originally posted by mashpaddled View Post
          Your state/local health and zoning entities may have different ideas about the use of propane burners inside a building, if that is what you are using to heat the keggles.
          Thanks...that's one thing I did take into consideration. I'm electric, so I should be good! (hopefully)

Comment

Assuming you pass your electrical inspection. Our brewhouse control panel wasn't UL Listed. $$$
            Russell Everett
            Co-Founder / Head Brewer
            Bainbridge Island Brewing
            Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Bainbridge View Post
              Assuming you pass your electrical inspection. Our brewhouse control panel wasn't UL Listed. $$$
              And some more excellent advice...thanks!

Comment

Working...
              X