Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brewpub keg mix question (all 1/2 or some 1/4, 1/6?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewpub keg mix question (all 1/2 or some 1/4, 1/6?)

We're soon opening a 7bbl brewpub and starting with 4 serving tanks, but will keg off some tanks to accommodate up to 8 taps. I need to order some kegs and I'm trying to see any benefit of ordering anything but 1/2bbl, since at least for the first few months, all sales are projected to be through our taps. If I get to some minor distribution later and have requests for sixtels, it seems I could acquire em then. But to start, I'll be using all kegs in house to empty low serving tanks and just can't see a good reason to get any sixtels. Am I missing something? Is there any good reason to have a mix of 1/2, 1/4, and 1/6?

thanks,
    Dave
    Dave Cowie
    Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
    Nevada City, CA

If you're planning on doing festivals or tasting events, it's a lot nicer hauling a sixtel or three around than a half barrel or three. You could always do growlers for those, I guess, though.

Other than that, if you're not planning on having beer leave in anything but growlers, you're right. There really isn't much need for them.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. There will undoubtedly be some events/weddings/etc., and I'll be the one moving full kegs. Some sixtels look mighty attractive. My back thanks you.
      Dave Cowie
      Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
      Nevada City, CA

Comment

Originally posted by barleyfreak View Post
        Thanks for the feedback. There will undoubtedly be some events/weddings/etc., and I'll be the one moving full kegs. Some sixtels look mighty attractive. My back thanks you.
        Another lesson I've learned, is that it's nicer taking sixtels to events because they generally come back empty and you don't have to worry about taking care of leftover product in a 1/2bbl, or having a half a half bbl around to deal with getting rid of.

So yeah, even if you're not distributing, think of all the places you might lug beer and then think about whether you'd be ok rolling around 1/2bbls (with a cart, preferably) or lugging around 1/6ths.

Comment

They are good to have around when kegging of that tank you need emptied and only have 5 or 10 gallons left in it.
          Cheers!

Jeff
          Carbondale Beer Works

Comment

Working...
          X