Crisp Malt Extract Potential Qestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crisp Malt Extract Potential Qestion

When I get the Crisp Malt analysis sheets for our malts, it lists the "Extract on Dry" as a different number than I'm used to seeing. In one case the number is 287. I'm assuming from what I've read this is the British HWE "Hot Water Extract" number and can be converted to a "Potential" % by dividing that number by 3.86 which gives me a yield of 74.35%.

I just need to confirm this is correct?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jakecpunut; 05-01-2014, 12:42 PM.

Hi, you need to deduct the moisture percentage before doing your extract potential calculation. Dry basis is as if the moisture content was zero. Also, the figure I use to work out the percentage extract from degrees Lintner/ kg (which should be Crisp) is to multiply by 0.263

Unfortunately, I don't have my notes with me today to be able to explain where that multiplier comes from....

Hope that helps, a bit

Comment

I actually got an email from Crisp this morning.. here is their reply..

"The value that is being reported on your Certificate of Analysis from BSG would appear to be an IoB extract value which is expressed in L°/kg. This will also be a ‘dry’ value.

The conversion I use to ASBC Extract is (IoB x 0.25)+1.7 which gives 73.5% in this case – pretty close to your 74%!"

Comment

Grind

Also note that values are often expressed as "fine grind" This means they turn the malt into flour in the lab. What you want for your equation is "course grind, as-is" Often the sheet will have fine/coarse difference, which you can subtract from the fine grind number.
        Last edited by Ted Briggs; 05-05-2014, 07:56 AM.
        Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
        tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
        "Your results may vary"

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Briggs View Post
          Also note that values are often expressed as "fine grind" This means they turn the malt into flour in the lab. What you want for your equation is "course grind, as-is" Often the sheet will have fine/coarse difference, which you can add to the fine grind number.
          Well that's actually something I was also hoping I was doing right.. I'm using Beersmith software and it the filed where I enter the "yield" field is labeled as "dry grain yield of the malt". There is also a "course fine difference field" below that is set to 1.5% by default and I never change that.

I'm hoping/assuming the software is configuring it correctly since it has those fields labeled the way it does. I know it doesn't really have an effect on specialty grains in smaller qty's. But even the tags on the base 2-row is 81 "extract, fine ground, dry basis" so I'm hoping by putting that 81 in the beersmith "potential" field I'm doing it right because it does make a different on the base grains on how the software calculates my starting gravity.

Comment

Working...
          X