DIY Heat Exchanger?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Heat Exchanger?

Anyone here build their own HX? We are on a 3BBL system and a budget. Using a duda plate chiller now which has worked well all winter, but as ground temps creep up, I'm looking for more options. We have a prechiller for the water and can do a CLT if we must. However, I'm intrigued by building a CFC like a double pipe one here...

Obviously I need to do my math and mine would need to be MUCH bigger. Also thinking maybe could uses it in tandem with our plate chiller. Really like the idea of being able to take it apart for cleaning. We do plan on buying a real SS Plate chiller that we can break down, but for now I'm thinking build something.

Thoughts? Pictures?

Thanks!

Yes we're using 2 convoluted counter flow chillers that are linked together. Wayyy outperforms our old duda diesel plate chiller. Doesn't clog either.. On the output of the chiller we have a oxygen stone and thermometer for in line oxygenation. Our system is 1.5 bbl and requires some recirculating before knockout but it works great. When we upgrade to 7bbl we are planning to fab up a 3/4 inch ID counter flow chiller to increase flow rate. obviously the chiller will have to have significantly longer length to maintain chilling efficiency with the increased diameter and flow rate.

Comment

Math for designing a CFC

I too am interested in building a CFC for 3BBL, but was wondering if someone on here was able to help calculate sizing.

Comment

Originally posted by Che' View Post
        I too am interested in building a CFC for 3BBL, but was wondering if someone on here was able to help calculate sizing.
        So using the math in that article, w/ 60deg water, and going from say 200deg or less after whirlpool, I figured i'd need roughly 19.2FT2 of tubing....

I figure i can increase efficiency a bit by adding something in the tubes to create more turbulence.

Using the same configuration, that would be 26- 63" copper tubes. Thats a ton, and Im thinking there is a better way or my math sucks...which it does.

Comment

What article are you talking about. I would like to read it.

Comment

It's in the first post on this thread.
            Kevin Shertz
            Chester River Brewing Company
            Chestertown, MD

Comment

U value for stainless

So it appears that this "U-Value" is for 1/2" copper tubing, how do I find the U-Value of 1" stainless tubing?
              Last edited by BlackLocustHops; 05-07-2014, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Not sure. Maybe just double his U value?

Problem with 1" ID is that's more space for wort to "hide out" and not come in contact with the cold side. You'd really have to do something interesting inside the wort tubing to create turbulence. Just a thought...

Comment

Working...
                X