Gelatin in brite tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gelatin in brite tank

I'm new to brewing on the larger scale. I'm opening a nano brewery am looking for anyone's input on using gelatin in the brite tanks or justly it fall out on its own?

Thanks Erik.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would look more into products like Nalco1072. It works faster and better than geltian and is not that pricey either. You can get it from Country Malt in 1 gallon jugs and everybody on here has a wide swing for the dosing of it but for me 100ml per bbl works great. It will have your beer crystal clear in less than few hours with all the sediment at the bottom of the tank to purge out. Here is what my beers look like just using Nalco. The beer on the right might look like it has a haze but its just condensation on the glass. Click image for larger version

Name:	1521676_726633577367557_722652417_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	190416
    Ben Pugh
    Meddlesome Brewing Company
    Memphis, TN

Eclectic Ales
    Memphis, Tn

Comment

Beautifully bright beer for sure. How are you dosing (not to thread jack)? Noticed any difference between the nalco and biofine? I'm about out of my mind fighting with biofine.

Comment

sub'd..............
        Mike Eme
        Brewmaster

Comment

I have not used biofine at all so I dont know anything about it. I pour the Nalco into my transfer hose and let the beer mix it as it flows into the BBT. It will start to settle out in a few minutes and will be completly settled in a few hours. I love the stuff and will stick with it.
          Ben Pugh
          Meddlesome Brewing Company
          Memphis, TN

Eclectic Ales
          Memphis, Tn

Comment

No need to sanitize the nalco?

Comment

We just shoot it right on in. It should be kept in the fridge but I think it takes a while to go bad.

Nalco 1072 and Biofine CLEAR are the same thing, SiO2, colloidal Silicon Dioxide. Kerry also makes plain Biofine, which is isinglass.

Make sure to mix it in reallllllly well. See e.g. http://discussions.probrewer.com/sho...-Egg-Drop-Soup

Pursuant to the original question: yes you can use gelatin in the brite. Your better option is to crash the beer, fine it with gelatin, then rack off that into the brite. But I heard the word nano in there so I assume crashing might not be an option, in which case you'll want a racking arm or standpipe so you're not just sucking yeasty gelatin/biofine sludge off the bottom when you keg or pour.
              Russell Everett
              Co-Founder / Head Brewer
              Bainbridge Island Brewing
              Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Gelatin good for some

We use both Biofine Clear and Gelatin.

Some interesting things to note:

Gelatin does not work with lager yeast and it's effect varies in volumes over 60bbl. We use it in our hop forward beers because it will pull out some of the polyphenols that lend a harshness to very hoppy beer.

Biofine takes 3 days to completely settle and make a tight sediment in our 15, 30, and 60bbl bright tanks.

Gelatin is clear in less than 24 hours.

Both need to be mixed well. We blow in Biofine w/ corny keg about 2/3 way through xfer from FV to bright. We pour in hot gelatin at end of xfer into port on top of bright tank and bubble CO2 from bottom while adding.

Comment

Working...
                X