Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DE vs Centrifuge

Hey folks,
    We are planning on getting either a DE filter or a Centrifuge, my question is for some folks who had one and then switched to the other. Why did you switch?
    As I said I know there are pros and cons for each and have been reading up on them but I am trying to figure out what to get. We are a 30 BBL brew house with 30 and 60 BBL fermenters. Any advice at all?

Thank you,

Dammy
    Dammy Olsson
    Quality Manager
    Wormtown Brewery
    Worcester, MA

In simple terms, it depends on whether you want crystal clear beer, in which case you need a filter, or if you are happy to have bee go out with a slight haze because the centrifuge isn't as good at removing the fine suspended proteins etc. which create the haze.

Centrifuges - I really don't know if you can get one that would be economic to run that sort of volume through.

You will need hot caustic for both of them, though depending on the design, you may clean with DE filters less frequently with hot caustic (Plate & frame filters in particular).

You probably need more electrical energy for a CF, but probably use less hot water.

Maintenance is, depending on the filter design, less involved. Centrifuges will almost certainly require an external maintenance contract. Depending on the filter type, you may be able to do most DE filter maintenance yourself.

DE filters - manual handling and H&S problems with KG / celite / other filter aid dust handling. CFs - noise.

To me, the main criterion is what quality (clarity) beer you want to pass on to you customers, assuming this is the final stage of processing. Oh yes, if you pasteurise, you will need more PUs with centrifuged beer. Personally, I would go for filtration, even though I know a lot of people say it removes flavours - and I have to agree with that sentiment, though perhaps not as strongly as some others.
    dick

Comment

Working...
    X