Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question About New Accounts

Hey guys,

We just started going out on sales calls and I have a few questions regarding new accounts. I've noticed that it is usually pretty hard to find the person who can actually make the final decision to buy our beer. On top of that, they always want a sample, so we have to schedule a meeting with that specific person. Some of them don't answer the phone, don't respond to voicemails, and are simply hard to track down in general. I'm just wondering what strategies you guys use to make this process more efficient.

Currently, my strategy is to call the account by phone and ask who makes those decisions and try to get their contact information. Then I try to schedule a meeting where I can bring samples and hopefully close the sale. When I have an appointment, I try to contact any other accounts that are nearby and see if I can schedule a meeting around the same time. If not, I will just pop in to see if they might be there and leave a few business cards. Does this seem like a reasonable strategy? Any tips or recommendations?

Also, a very common excuse I am getting for not placing the order now is that they have to finish a keg off first. They say they will call me back when that happens, but I'm sure very few of them actually do. My strategy for this is to call them back a few days after the meeting, but I don't want to start annoying them by calling too much. Anyone have any tips or strategies for dealing with this?

Thanks for any help.
    Cheers!

Distributor thoughts

schedule a ride along with your distributor partner if you have one. otherwise its a skill you will develop over time, speak directly and hunt for the information/contact you need. the fun of the craft industry is that there are probably about 200 other brewery reps trying to take up a managers whole day as well, try and plan for a time during the day that isnt busy and you know will need an authority present i.e. ordering times, receiving times, but make sure you dont shoot yourself in the foot by annoying them. Making the beer is easy, dealing with people is the real art.

Comment

You're on the right track. Prearranging tastings helps you work efficiently. A large part of sales is just being present regularly. Especially if you want to keep that handle. A craft bar that frequently rotates taps is one of our biggest helps and hindrances. It is easier to get the first sale than subsequent sales. I figure it's a 2-3 week process to win a handle just to get a keg on tap for 2-3 weeks and five new accounts gets one steady customer and a couple of rotators. Viva la craft beer boom!
      --Dean Brundage
      Owner / Unscrambler of Eggs
      Blake's Steaks Sandwich Shop
      (650) 823-3389

Comment

It's important to get face time with these people. Make sure you are ready with your sample when you show up in case the right person is there. Don't be afraid to move on to other accounts if you are having a difficult time making the connection. I have noticed that I've attempted a few contacts and moved on only to learn the initial contacts looked me up at a later date. If your local beer, try to get local taps. People love local flavor!

Comment

As a buyer I would first make sure you're calling on accounts that make sense. Until the brand is recognized around town you'll be wasting your time calling on mainstream accounts. Focus your attention on craft focused accounts. Another thing you could do is organize and industry tasting at the brewery. Have it catered and send out formal invitations and have them come to you and sample all the beers at once and get to know you and the brewery.
          Owner
          Grind Modern Burger
          PostModern Brewers
          Boise, ID

Comment

Working...
          X