Another manufacturer post: Specific Mechanical vs DME

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another manufacturer post: Specific Mechanical vs DME

Ok. I've spoken with a number of brewers and breweries who own both systems, but what the hell. Specific Mechanical vs DME....ready...set...go...

Any specifics on either equipment or the companies anyone cares to lend? PM me if better.

Randy

I went DME for no other reason than the price and timing where right on a used system. In general I really like the DME stuff. The system was manufactured around 2002. Excellent quality (welds, materials, etc...). My biggest complaint is the lauter run off/buffer system DME uses. The tun is equipped with a "valentine arm" (instead of a grant) which is kind of a pain to use and takes some careful pump/ valve balancing to get a proper run off.

Comment

Both do great equipment. Not a fan of DME brites, not enough slope, pump cavatates when CIPing. I love my Specific brewhaus with a grant. Times may have changed but last time I looked at new Equipment DME was quite a bit more expensive. Timing is a big factor as well.
      Joel Halbleib
      Partner / Zymurgist
      Hive and Barrel Meadery
      6302 Old La Grange Rd
      Crestwood, KY
      www.hiveandbarrel.com

Comment

Thanks to both of you.

I am leaning Specific. For the brewery package I'm putting together, DME is only incrementally more than Specific. A good deal more in the brewhouse but makes some of it back in the cellar and ancillary equipment. My purpose will be in a brewpub setting, not that that has much to do with it, but I have also heard nothing but good from the brewer at one of the local Gordon Biersch's as well as Iron Hill who has 11 Specific systems. My experience is with a Premier system at another brewpub I am involved in, Premier remains the 3rd possibility right now.

Randy

Comment

Working...
        X