Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dream assignment: Outfit a new brewery

Hey gang...

Imagine you're building a killer brand-new brewpub from the ground up. 10 bbl brewhouse with matching fermenters, steam, lager capable, possibly a skid-mount system, mostly manual control. You get to pick any vendor you want, but you have to say why you're choosing them. For sake of discussion, lets *pretend* all the systems cost the same. Your job is to pick based on your experience and preferences as a brewer. If there is one that you would definitely avoid, say so, and why (I already heard about Pub.)

Please consider the following vendors, though if there is one not listed that you prefer, please tell me about it. Except JVNW. They already eliminated themselves (won't sell to Europe.)

Vendors: Stromberg tanks, Newlands, DME, Braukon (German), Velo (Italian), ZVU (Czech), Premier Stainless (USA), Specific Mechanical.

Let the fun begin! Thanks!

-evan

The best designed, fabricated and installed system I've ever brewed on was a DME system. I've spend lots of time working on Specific Mechanical systems, too, and hold them in high regard...

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Maybe you could break up your dream Brewery into two suppliers. I've seen Stromberg tanks up close and that's some fine work, there. The folks at Specific Mechanical are very nice and support their products...........even if you bought it used from someone else.

Comment

Lets see your in Europe, You could easily contact Kasper Schulz and get your self a fine tank of a brew house, I believe they even have some used equipment comming in, As for tanks there are many suppliers around, I havent seen Clint Stromberg Tanks up close but they are a good price, I didnt get a good quote on the shipping allthough, I have been buying tanks from a company in Slovakia which are very well made and not so expensive, I have also bought some tanks from an Italian manufacture which had some problems but cost about 30% less than I had ever seen, now they are working fine.

I would get a good brewhouse, Its makes the job much easier and clean up can be a real chore if you dont have a well spec'd BH, Especially the Lauter tank.
        I have worked on Velo systems they are very well made, some (in my experiance they over do some things and over complicate it) But construction is very high. I think they cost almost as much as a Kasper schulz and Believe me Kasper S. is a Meciedes and Velo is an Alpha Romeo (note not a fiat).

Id be interested in hearing more about your project, Im located in Copenhagen at the moment and have a good amount of information on micros in Europe and US equipments...
        PM me if you want any help...
        www.Lervig.no

Comment

Thanks for the feedback! Keep it coming.

Good you guys mentioned it, I was thinking that maybe a combo of Stromberg/some other vendor might be a good idea. I've seen the tanks up close, and they seem like a great deal for the money. Way less cash then everyone else.

Michael, we're practically neighbors (I'm in Norway.) I have quite a few brewing contacts in Denmark also. I'll tell everyone more about the project when I get a moment. Stay tuned!

Comment

new Brewery

HI Evan:

I would recommend to visit Brewpubs and Micros in your area,
            look at the equipment and talk with the Brewers about
            the systems they use. I think that's a better approch for
            you to find out whats good and not, and what fits you the best.

Fred Scheer

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Scheer
              HI Evan:

I would recommend to visit Brewpubs and Micros in your area,
              look at the equipment and talk with the Brewers about
              the systems they use. I think that's a better approch for
              you to find out whats good and not, and what fits you the best.

Fred Scheer

Thanks, Fred. I agree completely-- and thats exactly what I've been doing over the last year to arrive at this list of vendors. Posting here is just one additional way to garner opinions.

It also bears mentioning that I'm from the States, and so I visit several brewpubs/micros each time I'm back. In addition, I've visited or been in touch with about 8 -10 pubs/micros here in Scandinavia, mostly Denmark (we hardly have any in Norway, thats one reason I'm starting one!)

Comment

I would second the recommendation for Specific Mechanical. We did buy our equipment used and have had excellent support from them.

Comment

If you want the best, visit http://www.caspary.com/html/Aktuelles.htm

Caspary makes a showpiece brewhouse. The systems have enormous capability to brew anything you want--even in autopilot. I've brewed on a system for over 5 years and can't say enough good things about them.

They can engineer the whole system for you, including instrumentation and control of the cellar.

There are many references besides mine....I am a bit biased though

As long as you are going with the best in equipment, make sure you leave a budget for QA equipment too. Make sure you buy a Haffmans Gehaltemeter, a Mettler-Toledo DO Meter (Orbisphere second), a nice microscope, and all sorts of micro equipment including and suitable autoclave.

Good luck with your choice,

B

Comment

Whatever you do, just stay away from copper cladding. You will thank yourself for getting a stainless steel brewhouse. Your back and hands will love you. It will take you about 10 to clean with a brush and your cleaning chemical of choice. As appossed to 3 or more hrs with copper. Also when installing your system, make sure to give yourself enough room around it to work on it when it breaks. Hope that helps. Best of luck.

Cheers,

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by St Rippy
                      Whatever you do, just stay away from copper cladding. You will thank yourself for getting a stainless steel brewhouse. Your back and hands will love you. It will take you about 10 to clean with a brush and your cleaning chemical of choice. As appossed to 3 or more hrs with copper. Also when installing your system, make sure to give yourself enough room around it to work on it when it breaks. Hope that helps. Best of luck.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for the advice. I assume you're talking about unprotected copper. What if the cladding is lacquered?

Comment

The lacquer will peel off after a while, or get scratched and then look so bad you want to peel it off and go back to basics.

In my experience, copper looks great, but you have to love it to death, and it has to be unlacquered to be able to look after it properly, and there has to be a good PR reason to use it. Quite honestly, even in a pub brewery with every on view to the public, stainless is easier to keep clean and give a better PR image than copper. Most people are pretty impressed by carefully finished stainless, clinical, but inspiring

Cheers
                        dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton
                          The lacquer will peel off after a while, or get scratched and then look so bad you want to peel it off and go back to basics.

In my experience, copper looks great, but you have to love it to death, and it has to be unlacquered to be able to look after it properly, and there has to be a good PR reason to use it. Quite honestly, even in a pub brewery with every on view to the public, stainless is easier to keep clean and give a better PR image than copper. Most people are pretty impressed by carefully finished stainless, clinical, but inspiring

Cheers
                          Well, I'll have to give it some thought. My planned pub will have a very rustic and "500 years old" feel to the interior, where copper would really look nice. Though in that case, unlacquered copper may also fit the image too...

Comment

It'll turn dark and mottled like an old penny, which may be just right for an old and rustic look!

Cheers, Tim

Comment

Working...
                            X