Efficiency issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Efficiency issues

I'm having some issues with low, REALLY low efficiency lately. We have a 1 BBL electric system purchased from Stout Tanks, use Beersmith for recipe calculations and we mill our own malt. The first 2 months we were open, all went perfect, pretty much all 8 recipes were spot on the OG (although we estimated 75% efficiency) Then, we started having issues with our cheesy little mill, just dealt with it, sometimes had to double mill the grain, started seeing some fluctuation in the OG but not too bad, sometimes is was a lot higher... We got a new mill recently, seemed great but the first batch was low by about .010. The second batch, the shaft froze up, so we sent it back, got a replacement, have had much trouble getting the thing to keep drawing the grain in so we have had to double mill most of the time. Pretty much mostly little chunks and hardly any in tact hulls. I brewed a batch yesterday that should yield 37 gallons at 1.068 and I got 1.054. Also kind of strange is that the starting boil OG and end of boil OG are exactly the same, always used to have .010 or more change. Our sparge is usually 30-40 minutes. Shouldn't our efficiency be in the 85% range on a system like this? Been using Great Western 2 row from the start, is is possible the malt is a little lame in the last few months?
    Any input is much appreciated!

Neal Farrell
    Peoria Artisan Brewery, AZ
Working...
X