Cool glycol with co2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool glycol with co2

We're installing a new glycol cooler and installing new pipework. While we're at it, I had an idea that I want opinions on.

The return glycol will be several degrees celcius, or more on very high load.
    The CO2 from the 50kg*6 tube battery will be very cold when it enters the pipe work, and needs to be heated.

So, why not install a shell and tube heat exchanger, pass the return glycol through one side and CO2 through the other side?
    The glycol will get colder, the CO2 will get warmer and less load will be put on the cooler and on an extra evaporator.

Opinions?

We do this. It works quite well, but save your money on the T-I-S HX. We just used 100' of soft copper in two parallel 50' coils in the glycol back. Warmer CO2, colder glycol, little cost. Over size the CO2 line to the GB to prevent snowing (formation of dry ice) in the line. For safety's sake, use one primary regulator to drop the pressure to ~200 psi before the HX, then a second regulator after the HX to reduce the pressure to ~ 60-70 psi after the HX. This will also also help prevent snowing.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Working...
    X