Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning and sanitizing copper tubing

Hey -

I need your help. I've forgotten what it takes to clean and sanitize copper equipment. The heat exchanger on my (former) pilot system is made of copper and hasn't been used for a while and I would really like to throw some cleaner in there just to be safe [so we can make some small batches at the winery where I am currently employed during my brewing hibernation.]
    I tried my local homebrew shop, but they didn't know anything (and boy, were their prices high!)... "just use hot water" was not a good enough answer for me.
    I know my fellow pro's know, so cough up the information.

please.

Thanks in advance guys. Reliable as always.

- John

Hot water, over 160F, better 180F.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight
      Hot water, over 160F, better 180F.
      I agree. My pilot system (homebuilt) is all hard plumbed in copper, including a convoluted copper chiller. I run 180F water through the system after using it to clean the lines.

For sanitizing copper I like StarSan by FiveStar chemicals... one of those phosphoric acid based sanitizers popular with homebrewers. It happens to make anything made of copper gleam brightly after a little soak time, due to the acid.

Comment

I agree that using hot water, 180F, is a good initial solution. Also ensure that you do this immediately after the brew and going backwards wouldn't hurt either. As far as chemicals, a very low concentration of phosphoric acid (.5 - 1 %) recirced is beneficial to maintaining a clean surface. I also pack the counterflow chiller with iodophor at about 12 ppm (since the chiller is only used infrequently for pilot brews).

Cheers,
        Aaron

Comment

Along the same lines, does anyone know if a StarSan solution is safe as a storage method for copper pipe? I'm wondering if it has negative effects during long-term exposure to copper.

Comment

Working...
          X