Flow rate through tank jackets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flow rate through tank jackets?

I've searched and can't find this info. The Mueller temp plate info seems to suggest you could get up to 60 GPM through a section of dimple jacket, but that seems high to me for a single zone on a fermenter.

I'm looking for MAXIMUM flow rates through dimple jackets to size our glycol supply pump. I would like a round estimate for total GPM required to make sure we have enough capacity at the pump and in the glycol supply and return lines.

For jacketed tanks we have / plan to have:

one - 100 bbl bright with three zones. each zone has 1" inlet/outlet.
    one - 50 bbl dairy tank with two zones. each zone has 1/2" inlet x 3/4" outlet
    two - 50 bbl fermenters with two zones each

thanks for any input
    Scott
    Scott Swygert
    Founder - Honky Tonk Brewing Co.

I got this from Premier:
    5-30Bbl tank = 5-10gpm
    40-120Bbltank= 10-15 gpm
    (Flow through entire tank regardless of number of jackets)

Comment

jacket flow

thanks Matt!

I plan to connect our domestic water (max. 8 GPM) to the jackets to test the flow and see if there's any reduction coming out of the jackets.
      Scott Swygert

Comment

Maximum????

You can get just about any flow you care for depending on the pressure you want to spend to do it. You cannot have flow without a difference in pressure. So when you ask for maximum possible flow, I have to ask what is your maximum possible delta pressure?
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

If you haven't yet tested your flow rate using your domestic supply, STOP. Most fermenter cooling jackets are rated for 1 bar--14.7 psi, and domestic water supplies can easily go over 40 psi. Ours is 60 psi! Welding a ruptured cooling jacket isn't fun....
          Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
          Terminal Gravity Brewing,
          Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Design Range Flow Rate

Thanks for the advice on this. I stopped short of blasting the hose in the tanks! I might use a 3/4" PVC inline pressure reducing valve adapted to the garden hose before I run a test.

I should have said "upper end design flow rate" instead of Maximum. Another guy told me he uses 10 GPM / jacket and 70% of tanks on demand when coming up with total system flows.
            Scott Swygert

Comment

Scott,

STOP, don't put city water pressure to your fermenter jackets, you run the risk of too much pressure. If you have a CIP pump, hook it up in a loop and measure the flow that way. You probably want no more than about 25 psi on the jackets depending the type. If they are dimple welded, definitely don't put more than 30 psi on them. Also, make sure the tank is full of water too, to mimic the conditions of real life.

Our 40 bbl tanks are about 5-8 gpm if I remember right. A 3" header and 1" drops per tank works fine.
              Linus Hall
              Yazoo Brewing
              Nashville, TN
              www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Measuring Flow

Thanks Linus. I'll use the CIP pump instead.
                Scott Swygert

Comment

Working...
                X