Base Malt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Base Malt?

I currently use Maris Otter. What do you use and why?

Cheers,

Chris

Gambrinus 2 Row
    Nice big berries, great extract, coversion, and a local supplier (well.......within 6 - 7 hours by truck, anyway). A good price as well.

Comment

Gambrinus as well. A good malt at a reasonable price. I have also used Great Western 2-row as well as their High Color Pale with good results. I have tried Rahr 2-row and was not impressed. Marris Otter once in a while but too expensive for not much difference (that I can taste anyway). A lot of micro's big and small use Great Western with good results. What I do to distinguish the different malts is use them on my lightest beer where the malt flavor really shines through, I also taste all the local beers brewed with different base malts to compare. Again usually the lightest beer is the best showcase for the malt.
      Big Willey
      "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

base malts

We use Maris Otter (low colour and reg) Pale Malt and the results are always good. Having said that I've used Pearl and Halcyon pale malt from Fawcetts here in the U.K. and found them to be quite good as well.
        Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
        Vancouver, B.C.
        Canada

Comment

Briess Organic 2 row

Because they are the only ones in North America making certified organic grains, now if the dollar would just get a little stronger....
          Dave

Comment

base malts

I also forgot to mention we use Organic lager malt from Warminster, great stuff!!
            Tariq Khan (Brewer/Distiller)

Yaletown Brewing and Distilling Co.
            Vancouver, B.C.
            Canada

Comment

All different types of base malt: Crisp MO, GW Pale Ale, GW 2-row, Simpsons Golden Promise, Durst Pilsner, and Briess Organic 2-row.

Originally posted by David Quinn
              Briess Organic 2 row

Because they are the only ones in North America making certified organic grains, now if the dollar would just get a little stronger....
              Actually, Gambrinus in British Columbia is now producing certified organic pale malt. I just brewed with it for the first time last week, efficiency was about the same as Briess. Email me in a couple of weeks and I will let you know what I think.

beersmith@qwest.net

Comment

Base Malt

We use Great Western high color. Have used Gambrinus, Cargill, and Castle as well. Recently, it's just been the Great Western in our silo. Better extract than the others at the time, inexpensive (we always split loads and get the full truck price), close to home (less than 5 hours), and just plain great tasting malt.
                Paul Thomas
                Brewer
                Sockeye Brewing
                www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Paul's 2-row for majority of our beers.
                  Dingemans Pilsen Malt for our Belgians and Lagers.

Primary reason for using these malts is that of all the
                  malts we have evaluated over the last 11 years these two
                  perform the best with our funky grain mill and mash tun set
                  up. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

Briess

2 row
                    6 row
                    vienna
                    munich malt
                    Doug A Moller
                    Brewmaster
                    The Moller Brew House
                    (405)226-3111

Comment

rahr malt

what is everyone's experience with the rahr malts?

Comment

Originally posted by mlhardesty
                        what is everyone's experience with the rahr malts?

We use Rahr Malt; my experience is higher gravities.
                        Myself, I like that malt alot, and the resulting beers.

Fred

Comment

Rahr Malt

Rahr Malt has worked well for us(extracts, lautering, taste profile). We use it as our base malt, but also use Weyerman pils and Simpson Golden promise in other beers depending on the country of origin for that particular beer.
                          Anyway, I know malt is only 1/4th of the ingredients, but the three GABF medals that we were fortunate enough to earn this year says something about the quality of the ingredients used. I give it my blessing!
                          Matt Van Wyk
                          Brewmaster
                          Oakshire Brewing
                          Eugene Oregon

Comment

I saw a couple of other Briess users out there - anyone else have any comments on them?

I've had two brewers in the last 3 months tell me I need to make a change, but I'm only 10 months into doing this stuff, so I don't have much experience on which to base my choice. No, they were not especially specific in their criticisms, but generally cited extract levels and other grain-contaminants (corn or rye in your two row, chocolate malt in your peanut butter malt, that sort of thing...)

Thoughts?

Scott

Comment

Gambrinus 2-row, good price and split the load with another top notch Northwest brewery.

Comment

Working...
                              X