View Full Version : ATF forms question

10-03-2005, 06:22 PM
Maybe someone can help me out. Im in the process of submiting my permit forms for my brewpub and Im a little confused on this form.... I know that I have to submit the ATF F 5130.10 to the ATF but then I also found a form that I need to submit to the TTB which is also F 5130.10 are these the same form? I am in California and also know that I have to submit a form to them also is this the TTB form? Does anyone remember exactly what forms they had to submit to the seperate offices? Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

10-03-2005, 07:21 PM
I believe they are the same form. Probably you'd need to submit it to both agencies (if you can find a address for them both). However, CALL YOUR ATF AGENT or TTB AGENT for the final answer. I'd send it to both to be sure!

Luck to ya'

10-04-2005, 07:46 AM
Hey thanks alot Dave, that was going to be my next move today. I will call the ATF and try to get some of this figured out.


10-04-2005, 09:39 AM

The mission of the TTB (Tax & Trade Bureau) was formerly a part of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms (BATF). It was recently changed to be a full bureau under the Department of the Treaury - the "mother" agency for the BATF. As far as the forms go, they are one in-the same, except that you probably now have to use the TTB form. You can find all of the updated TTB forms you need for a brewery at :


I have no idea what the State of CA des, but most states do have a separate licensing process. Luck to Ya!

Sir Brewsalot
10-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Mr. Beersmith touched on this already - but regarding the forms themselves, beware the different versions of the federal forms, ATF and revised for TTB. In my recent experience, it wasn't that there was a problem because I was using the wrong version of a particular form, it was just confusing to me because I had two versions of some, and only needed to submit one.

The folks at TTB licensing were startlingly helpful with this whole process - I got better service there than I did at say, Home Depot - and TTB is a bit of a monopoly! I was truly amazed.

Also possibly of use, here's the text from a "Table of Contents" document I sent in with my package, listing everything I sent in at this point. You'll notice I chose the "collateral bond" route, as I saw it as a money saver in the long term:

Enclosed are the following documents:

1. Brewer’s Collateral Bond (2 original copies) and check for $1,000.00
2. Brewer’s Notice and the following attachments:
a. Articles of Incorporation (2 copies)
b. Trade Name Registration - statement in lieu of (2 original copies)
c. Diagram of Brewery with dimensions
d. Legal Description of the Brewery – Property Deed (2 copies)
e. Supplemental Information on Water Quality Considerations (2 original copies)
f. Personnel Questionnaire – "insert stakeholder name #1 here" (1 copy)
g. Personnel Questionnaire – "insert stakeholder name #2 here" (1 copy)
h. Corporate By Laws (2 copies)
i. Environmental Information (2 original copies)
j. Statement Describing Security at the Brewery (2 original copies)

Best of luck, and welcome to brewing!

10-05-2005, 08:15 AM
Thanks beersmith for the link.

Hey Scott thanks for all the great info. This will help out a great amount. Im just hoping(Im sure like everyone else)that this paperwork does not hold me up on my opening date?? Im just confused that I cant submit this paperwork until 60 days before opening. This just dosent seem like it will give me enough flexibility if something is not right. No big deal I guess this will just be another hurdle!!

Thanks again guys!!


10-20-2005, 12:08 PM
This is a very niave question, but I am curious about the licensing for a small brewpub (production under 5000 bbl/year). I thought that you only need to be licensed by the state and that the ATF only became involved if you were larger than that.

Thanks, Ray

10-20-2005, 12:31 PM
Nope, the ATF/TTB needs to be involved no matter the size of your brewery.