Whirlpool Additions and Techniques

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirlpool Additions and Techniques

We are about to move from our pilot system to 15BBL production and the biggest thing I'm hung up on is hop whirlpool techniques. Everyone seems to have their own style that works best for them and I'm trying to figure out what will work best for us. My current whirlpool schedule is like this.

- Flameout
    - Run through heat exchanger until wort hits 185F, stop cool-water on heat exchanger
    - Add whirlpool hops and recirculate at 185F for 15-20 minutes
    - Cool water on and recirculate until wort hits 145F, cool water off
    - Add 2nd addition of whirlpool hops and recirc 15-20 minutes
    - Cool water on, chill as normal and transfer to fermenter

I do this for two reason. I'm trying to minimize the IBU contribution on the whirlpool hops. 185F will volatize some oils and get me some bitterness/flavor/aroma, 145 does NOT volatize oils therefore I get NO bitterness from this addition and just pull aroma (maybe some flavor too). It's been working wonderfully on our pilot system for about the past year (1/2 BBL) but I'm not sure if this is normal/acceptable at 15BBL. Additionally, there might be a better/easier way to achieve the same effect.

What is your process for Whirlpool additions? The 185/145 temps is something I came up with last year after reading the Hops book and doing some research into hop oil temps after we were pulling too much bitterness out of our flameout hops.

Why not just adjust your original bittering addition? Then you don't have to get too complicated with the whirlpool.

Comment

Originally posted by ChxBchBrews View Post
      Why not just adjust your original bittering addition? Then you don't have to get too complicated with the whirlpool.
      Well yes, I've actually ommitted the bittering addition altogether on our Pale Ale. That said, I like to pack the whirlpool full of hops and even without the bittering addition I was still extracting too much perceived bitterness out of them. I know at a certain point there are diminishing returns for hop flavor/aroma, but I guess I need to figure out where that number is and adjust from there.

Comment

Working...
      X