Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please help: 24 hour new wort at 37 F in FV with yeast, what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help: 24 hour new wort at 37 F in FV with yeast, what to do?

I cooled my wort to 64 F, pitched my yeast and left for the day without changing the FV temp to ~68F. My yeast is asleep with no fermentation activity. I have 10 BBL FV with a glycol jacket.

Any ideas?

1. Let warm over 2 days and hope for the best?
    2. transfer to another FV set at 68 F?
    3. Run through a heat exchanger and hope for no infections?

Thanks,
    Luke

Drain your jackets of glycol on the tank, get some tri clamp barbs that fit the jacket hose and connect to your brewery hose. Fill your kettle with enough water to safely heat and recirculate through the jackets with your kettle pump or a transfer pump. Set kettle to about 150f and recirculate slowly. Make sure you have no restrictions on the output of your glycol jackets on your fermenter so as not to blow out your jackets.

...this is a great reason to have multiple valves on your glycol system going in and out of tanks.

Comment

Another way to warm it up:

1. Turn off the chiller, but leave the circulation pump running.
      2. Fill one empty fermenter with hot water.
      3. Open the glycol valves on both the too-cold fermenter and the one filled with hot water. The hot water in one fermenter will warm up your glycol system, which will warm up the too-cold fermenter. Repeat as necessary.
      4. Turn the chiller back on.
      Linus Hall
      Yazoo Brewing
      Nashville, TN
      www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Glycol Heat Exchanger

If you cool your wort with through a Glycol Chiller, you can follow Linus's steps but instead of running hot water to fermenter, you can run it through chiller to warm up Glycol. We have done this before and it works very well. We warm glycol to about 85 degrees and have brought a 30 bbl fermenter up from 50 degrees to 65 in about 4 hours.

Cheers,
        Dave
        David Schlosser
        Brewmaster / Founder
        Naked Dove Brewing Company
        Canandaigua, NY

Comment

I found your post too late, but on occasion like this the best solution is adding yeast in logarithmic phase(the highest activity). In case you don`t have yeast, try pomp in oxygen from bottom FV.

Comment

I'm sure it's too late now, but we have run our piping so that we can recirculate water from our HLT through the 'cold' side of the heat-x. (So when we're cleaning, it actually heats the caustic during the cycle, rather than it cooling as it goes on.) In such a situation, I'd run a sani loop through the mobile pump and the heat-x, then hook up the tank, drawing from the racking arm and returning to the bottom. Turn on the HLT pump, crack the hot and adjust the flow so it didn't cook the yeast going through the heat-x, and recirc until it comes up to temp.
            Russell Everett
            Co-Founder / Head Brewer
            Bainbridge Island Brewing
            Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Working...
            X