Yeast Propogation Temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeast Propogation Temperature

I'm trying to batch up some Wyeast Kolsch yeast for an up-and-coming brew. My question relates to correct/optimal propgation temperature ... Wyeast's website recommends 75oF (24oC), however Kolsch yeast is happily fermenting at 55-64oF (13-18oC).

So, should I propgate at 75oF or 60oF to get 'best' propogation outcome? And how would you define 'best' (fastest? most healthy/viable? pitch-ready?).

Any advice and/or experience welcome...

Thanks.

I'd propigate @ 13-18* whatever the fermtemp will be or close to it.
    to minimise shocking them.

Comment

our brewery normally ferments at 64-68 degrees. However, we keep our yeast prop at 70-75 degrees. The previous brewery I worked at was similar.

I think "shocking the yeast" is over-rated. After all, every yeast harvest we do is at 30-35 degrees, it is subsequently pitched in wort of 64, perhaps 70 degrees. Talk about "shocking the yeast"........

Comment

Is the thinking here that we don't really care about the ester levels of that small prop batch, we just want lots of big ol healthy yeast, ready to eat.. right? I figure yeast would "like" to be at 75 or so, but we run it colder when it's a drinkable product we're after.

Am I even close?

Comment

"however Kolsch yeast is happily fermenting at 55-64oF (13-18oC)" Wow. That is a heck of a big range for a single yeast strain. We normally aim to culture in final culture vessel at the same temperature as the main FV temperature. However up to 2 deg C gives better yeast growth, without generating too many weird flavours.

It is a balance between rapid yeast growth and off flavours if too warm. I suggest that 75 deg C is far too warm except in the conical flask step of growth , with another couple of steps to follow, each, in your case getting progressively coller by a degree or so.

Ultimately though, it is your decision based on viability, growth and flavours attributable to the culture.

Hope this helps. Cheers
          dick

Comment

Working...
          X