Use Old Grain ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use Old Grain ?

I have 5 bags of Maris Otter that's probably 2 years old. It's been in the original bag in a controlled temp environment of ~70f. It has been subjected to occasional humidity from brewing for 2 years in that room on a 10 gallon pilot system.

Doing larger batches now on a 10bbl system and bought all new grain. Would you use that old grain? Sell it for feed? Sell it to a homebrewer? Add maybe 1 bag per batch until it's used up?

What say you?
    Thanks!

Use old grain

I'd say make another test batch on the pilot system. If the numbers are comparable to what you formerly got using the same grains, then there is no reason not to use them on bigger batches. If the numbers are more than 5% but less than 10% low, you can use a small amount along with newer grains until you eventually use them up. If the numbers are more than 10% low, sell it as animal feed or give it to the homebrewers with full disclosure - they will love you for the gift as long as there are no surprises.

Cheers!

Comment

Look, smell, taste...

If any of those three senses tell you the malt is not up to snuff, dump it. I have a suspicion that it will pass muster on all counts, though.

Think about it, the reason that malting and brewing was "invented" is to make the barley (and other grain) last as long as possible after the harvest. My current, just received last week, Weyermann has a "best by" of November 2015. And your 70 degrees with occasional spikes from test batches are a heck of a lot better storage conditions that most malt gets!

If I were in your spot, I would just sub out one bag of "regular" base malt pound for pound for your Marris Otter until it's used up. Assuming, that is, it smells, tastes and looks good.

Cheers- Mike

Comment

Thanks for the input!

Jake!

Comment

Working...
        X