Galvanized Grist Case?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Galvanized Grist Case?

In the interest of saving money, what other metals besides stainless steel might be acceptable to make a grist case out of? This grist case would be suspended above the mash tun, so it would see some steam and heat. I have read that galvanized metal is food-safe, as long as the food is not acidic. I guess brewing water (and therefore steam?) is slightly acidic, but would this affect the grist case? Also, what about other possibilities like painted mild steel?

Condensate water is acidic enough to eat concrete, and will undoubtably dissolve heavy metals (cadmium, etc) from the galvanizing, which might then drip into your mash tun. SS is expensive, but find somewhere else to cut corners (your pay?) or risk exposing your customers to heavy metal poisoning.

Well-painted mild steel might work for you, but will require periodic re-painting. The best paint I've found for the brewhouse is Alloy Bond Supercoat 316L. it makes mild steel look like 316L SS, and lasts very well if used according to the instructions. I think we get it from Nether Ind.
    Last edited by TGTimm; 07-08-2014, 09:29 AM.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Is it an option to put your grist case somewhere else and run a flex auger or sloped chute to the mash?

Aaron
      Junkyard Brewing Co.
      Moorhead M.N.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchet Jack View Post
        Is it an option to put your grist case somewhere else and run a flex auger or sloped chute to the mash?

Aaron
        Junkyard Brewing Co.
        Moorhead M.N.
        Yes, that's an option too. I like the grist case above for space saving and asthetic reasons. Right now I'm leaning towards: start with a mill with a chain disk up to where the grist case would be, but add a stainless grist case later once we have a little more cash. We can just have an extra person there on brew day to mill in, until we have a grist case.

Comment

We used plastic. No problems so far and obviously much cheaper.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1454871_636526409731051_1815877446_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	190453
          Last edited by CharlosCarlies; 07-09-2014, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Talk to any local stainless welder and you could probably have one made for less than $1000

Aaron
            Junkyard Brewing Co.
            Moorhead M.N.

Comment

Originally posted by Hatchet Jack View Post
              Talk to any local stainless welder and you could probably have one made for less than $1000

Aaron
              Junkyard Brewing Co.
              Moorhead M.N.
              That's a good idea to try, I was going to try that with some of the other non-sanitary stuff like the work platform. Maybe this too.

Comment

Working...
              X