Phosphoric acid in the kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phosphoric acid in the kettle

Does anyone have a per bbl dosing chart or resource for adding 75% phosphoric acid in the kettle to lower ph...ie. x milliliters per .1 ph drop per bbl?
    Walnut

The answer will be completely dependent on the makeup of your water. Temporary/Permanent Hardness, Alkalinity all will play a role. The amount anyone else uses will have no bearing on what works for you. Heck, the amount I use in the summer varies wildly from the amount I use in the winter from the same water source!

The only real answer is to titrate your source water with phosphoric and test the pH to see how it changes. Depending on the consistency of your water source, you may have to do this several times throughout the year to ensure repeatability...
    Scott LaFollette
    Fifty West Brewing Company
    Cincinnati, Ohio

Comment

I would add 1 ml for 1l of water and check the ph drop and work from there. I do the same thing but with 88% Lactic acid.

Comment

We always add our phosphoric acid to our mash at dough-in and about halfway through our sparge, and it's entirely dependent on our recipe for the day. It's not entirely helpful but I would recommend taking regular pH measures at dough-in, vorlough, and during the entirely of the sparge to figure out when you need to add pH. From there you should be able to calculate how much phosphoric acid to use to reduce your pH as needed.

Comment

Working...
        X