New Brewery - Filter or Fine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Brewery - Filter or Fine?

We should have approval to begin brewing shortly (~3-4 weeks), and up until this point we had been planning on fining using biofine. As we get a bit closer, I'm wondering if that is the best idea or if we are better off just filtering. I am not familiar with either on a professional level, so either way will be a bit of trial and error. What is the safer bet?

Thanks!

Will you be bottling or canning? Any plans to distribute your beers to other accounts? If I had to choose between your choices, I would filter.

Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Depends on beer style, yeast strain, packaging, distribution....

I've been extremely happy with fining in the FV w/Nalco 1072, and we can and distribute statewide.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
        Depends on beer style, yeast strain, packaging, distribution....

I've been extremely happy with fining in the FV w/Nalco 1072, and we can and distribute statewide.
        TonyT

- what's your process for fining in the FV? I have been trying a new process in the fV in an effort to avoid fining the beer inline during the transfer to the brite.

Oh and to not thread jack, to the OP

I'd try the biofine route as it can produce amazingly brite beer once you dial in how much and how to dose it. It's also much cheaper to start with biofine, as a filter setup could always be added later.
        Last edited by woohokie; 07-10-2014, 09:36 PM.

Comment

BioFine is the best

I would recommend BioFine, as it is producing very clear Lagers at our brewery in Reno. We Ferment in CCV's, then trans to Horizontal tanks. Beer is of nice clarity after 4 weeks.

Lance

Comment

BioFine

I would also agree; BioFine is a great choice. We BioFine inline as we transfer to Brite. We can and distribute statewide with great results.

Comment

It's not an either/or question, the answer is "both". Filtering unfined beer suuuuuucks.
              Russell Everett
              Co-Founder / Head Brewer
              Bainbridge Island Brewing
              Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

I filter all my German beers. I fine all my Anglo-American beers.

Comment

Originally posted by FowlerBrew View Post
                  I would also agree; BioFine is a great choice. We BioFine inline as we transfer to Brite. We can and distribute statewide with great results.
                  Could you give me a hint as to how you fine inline during transfer? Venturi?

We filter most beers now but are looking to start fining in the FV to improve filters through our P&F as well as just fining some beers.

Comment

We use both, but we have pressure to get beer out, not sure how folks let sit beer for 4-5 weeks on chill.
                    Head Brewer Rocks Brewing Co.
                    Sydney, Aust
                    scotty@rocksbrewing.com

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I think we will probably stick to the original plan of fining with biofine, and switch to filtering later on if need be. As others have asked, could some of you clarify on how you add the biofine? Is it best to do in the fv, during transfer, or in the brite?

Comment

If you have a VFD pump and racking arms on your fermenters you can set up a loop where you draw from your sample port and push through the racking arm with the arm pointing at roughly a 45 degree angle. Set the VFD to gently whirlpool the beer in the tank and add the Biofine through a T and valve setup before the racking arm. Blow the biofine in with a corny keg or yeast brink once the beer is spinning. Let spin for 20-30 minutes.

If you want to transfer inline on the way to the brite tank simply put a T and valve setup somewhere in the line and blow it in slowly during transfer. Some people have good results just dumping it in the brite pre-transfer. Biofine usually works (or not) within 24-48 hours.

Comment

BioFine

I have done it both ways as mentioned above. Currently, we have a housing apparatus we can attach on a T with a valve, purge, fill with BioFine, and blow in with CO2 using a quick disconnect on top of the housing. Previously, we have blown in with a corney and recirculated through the racking arm. Both produce fairly brite beer. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by FowlerBrew View Post
                            I have done it both ways as mentioned above. Currently, we have a housing apparatus we can attach on a T with a valve, purge, fill with BioFine, and blow in with CO2 using a quick disconnect on top of the housing. Previously, we have blown in with a corney and recirculated through the racking arm. Both produce fairly brite beer. Good luck!
                            So do you dilute the Biofine in the corny? We'll only be using 2L so it seems like it might need some added bulk to make sure it all gets out of the keg.

Comment

So do you dilute the Biofine in the corny?
                              Yes just open the valve and fill the corny most of the way with beer (w biofine already in there) then dose it in.

Comment

Working...
                              X