No announcement yet.

Number of Kegs for production facilty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of Kegs for production facilty?

Just wondering, I've heard you need 4 kegs per handle in a production setting....

Assuming 5,000 barrels a year, I'm estimating producing 800 1/2 barrels a month, which would hopefully be 750 accounts or so, so thinking 3,000 kegs is about the right number for that size....though canning might be in the cards to so maybe could get away with 2000-2500?

Appreciate any feedback.

Cheers,
    Eric O'Connor

Co-founder/Brewmaster
    Thorn Street Brewery
    North Park, San Diego, CA

Assuming you have the capital to acquire 2-3000 kegs, I'd say that would be plenty. In every brewery I've worked in, kegs are in hot demand. We are always waiting on kegs to be returned from distribution.

Now for number if kegs/account.. Are you a startup? If so, starting to distribute 500+ kegs a month is a large estimate IMO. Maybe after a year or two I'd say it'd be a safe bet depending on distribution range and available tap handles.

I would be safe to say an average of 75-100 kegs a month for the first few months and gradually increase from there.

Again, this is just my take on the situation. This of course is going off my personal experience of a production heavy 20bbl system w/ canning line. I of course don't know your exact market area or the size of production facility you are planning..

Hope this helps! Cheers!

Buzz

Comment

Working...
    X