Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Graphic Design for new brewery - crowd-site or firm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graphic Design for new brewery - crowd-site or firm?

Just curious as to experiences with the 99design.com's, hatchwise.com's out there, vs. a private design firm? I'm guessing the crowd-sourced sites land near $200-$400 for you brand logo design, and a private firm is $3,000-$5,000? Is there really that much disparity in the quality compared to the pricing?

I think there's a lot of options in between those two extremes.

I have a friend who does freelance work. I haven't talked to him about prices in a couple years, but I remember him charging maybe $20-30 per hour, and a basic design job costing 10-30 hours.

Depending on what you want, that puts you within the range of the crowd-sourced stuff, but well below a marketing firm.

Comment

Logo

Here is a link to the guy doing ours. Bradvetterdesign.com. Good guy. Knows way more about it than I knew there was to know.
      Cheers
      JDH

Comment

I highly recommend Mike at Brewery Art International, http://www.breweryartintl.com. He is deeply creative and has grown up in brewery art!

Prost!
        Dave
        Glacier Brewing Company
        406-883-2595
        info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Use design professionals!

As a professional Graphic Designer gone brewpubber -- I'm lucky enough to have gone to design school before getting into brewing. I can tell you first hand - don't go with discount design companies that crank out cheap work unless it's for something small like a single self-contained logo for a single product. Branding a company takes time, research, good communication and a personal touch. Also - If you're going to use a freelancer, be extremely careful. I offered pretty sub-par freelance for years until I realized how much it cost my clients in the long run. Your guy (or gal) needs to be a professional through and through, and talent/portfolio isn't everything.

Find someone who's got the eye AND the follow through! Or better yet - go with a design firm, if budget allows.

I'd offer you my services if I wasn't opening my brewpub in T-Minus 60 days. ZERO free time for new clients at this point.

Good Luck!

Tim
          Beer & Brand
          O'Meara Bros. Brewing Company

Comment

Originally posted by omearabros View Post
            Also - If you're going to use a freelancer, be extremely careful. I offered pretty sub-par freelance for years until I realized how much it cost my clients in the long run. Your guy (or gal) needs to be a professional through and through, and talent/portfolio isn't everything.
            I think professionalism is a two-way street. That friend I mentioned quit doing work for startups. Basically, because his customers weren't professionals. If you're a professional, you don't have the time to deal with clients like that. You pay extra to marketing firms because they'll put up with you and hold your hand.

Comment

Here is a recommendation. Very reasonable prices and extensive experience in graphics and design.

Comment

Originally posted by nateo View Post
                I think professionalism is a two-way street. That friend I mentioned quit doing work for startups. Basically, because his customers weren't professionals. If you're a professional, you don't have the time to deal with clients like that. You pay extra to marketing firms because they'll put up with you and hold your hand.
                Good call there. It's very much a two way street. Freelance isn't an easy gig - plenty of awful clients out there too.

Comment

Most of what you get from those cheap crowd sites is generic work mass produced with very basic designs and logos. In addition to getting cheap looking work you also put yourself at risk for an intellectual property fight if you end up using the same generic design that some other brewer selected. A slight risk, perhaps, but if you're unlucky enough to have it happen to you then you'll really regret spending $5 on that stupid logo.

Something to consider along with price and quality is the ability to maintain a relationship with that designer. If you want your branding and/or labels to match the same style and concept then it may make sense to find a designer who can commit to doing so much work for you in the future and that you feel you can trust to produce good product into the future. Meet with several designers, review portfolios and think carefully about that relationship.
                  DFW Employment Lawyer
                  http://kielichlawfirm.com

Comment

You get what you pay for...

I have to agree with several of the others who have already posted regarding crowd-sourcing logos. You typically do get what you pay for and often times, the artists are effectively working for free unless they get chosen. So, they work quickly off of basic ideas and art that's already been used elsewhere. Remember that this is your brand you are talking about. It's the one thing that people will visualize (aside from a frosty pint) when they think of you. If you are distributing then it's even more crucial to work with someone that helps in a consultative capacity and not only listens to you, but helps guide you in a direction that will help your brand stand out and represent you well.

Comment

Originally posted by headspace View Post
                      I have to agree with several of the others who have already posted regarding crowd-sourcing logos. You typically do get what you pay for and often times, the artists are effectively working for free unless they get chosen. So, they work quickly off of basic ideas and art that's already been used elsewhere. Remember that this is your brand you are talking about. It's the one thing that people will visualize (aside from a frosty pint) when they think of you. If you are distributing then it's even more crucial to work with someone that helps in a consultative capacity and not only listens to you, but helps guide you in a direction that will help your brand stand out and represent you well.
                      Headspace,
                      You bring up some good points!

Prost!
                      Dave

BTW welcome to Probrewer
                      Glacier Brewing Company
                      406-883-2595
                      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, Dave! LONG time lurker here, finally decided to dive into a conversation I know a little something about.

Cheers!

Comment

Coming from a design professional

After reading most of these posts it seems a bit of you have a good idea and have realized that you do get what you pay for. The average hourly rate for a web firm is $150/hr, the average website cost for a quality custom website in the industry is $5k. We roughly charge $3k for a custom designed site. We sometimes go lower like $1.5k if we do a template. Custom functionality you usually want to think about with a brewery is beer finder, beer list loader, staff loader, news/events, etc. Then you have a whole different world when it comes to logo or label design. One of the biggest things I get from people who come to us is that they already spent all their money on non-professionals. Then they don't want to invest anymore, and we understand that, but its better to go with a quality company and get it right the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by growlercreative View Post
                            you do get what you pay for. . . the average website cost for a quality custom website in the industry is $5k. We roughly charge $3k for a custom designed site. We sometimes go lower like $1.5k if we do a template.
                            So, you get what you pay for, but you guys are way cheaper than all the others? That doesn't sounds like a ringing endorsement.

Comment

Originally posted by nateo View Post
                              So, you get what you pay for, but you guys are way cheaper than all the others? That doesn't sounds like a ringing endorsement.
                              Nateo my work definitely backs me up. I have worked with some large companies. Reason I charge less than the national average is because I live on the east coast in a lower cost area. My rates are comparable to other companies my size. Now there are larger companies in my area and due to overhead they charge more. I have spoke to a few breweries located on the west coast, and they have spoke to specialized brewing design companies there, but they charge like 10-20k for their items. So when I mean average, I meant national average. When I was talking about "you get what you pay for" is companies who get some one to do it for free or pay a non-professional 400-600 bucks to do it. Most of the time I get those people afterwards to fix everything cause the other one could not do it correctly. That is what I meant.

Comment

Working...
                              X