American Ale Cold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Ale Cold

How cold can American Ale Yeast ferment? I know i have had it down to 58F with no problem. I am trying to produce a Lager like Ale. I have heard that at too cold a temp that American Ale will actually throw more esters. Anyone have any experience. Also would overpithching produce a cleaner beer (assuming the overpitch was only for this particular beer, and not a consistant practice)?
    Big Willey
    "You are what you is." FZ

I've used it down to 50 degree F. for a p-Pilsner with good result. The smallest brewery in Louisville (Cumberland Brews, Mr Matt NMI Gould at the helm) brews a mocktoberfest with American ale yeast every year. I found the p-Pils to be clean and tasty...

Proost,
    david
    Last edited by beertje46; 01-04-2006, 08:01 PM. Reason: update
    Cheers & I'm out!
    David R. Pierce
    NABC & Bank Street Brewhouse
    POB 343
    New Albany, IN 47151

Comment

pitching yeast

Pitch 1 lb per barrel. Over pitching can cause off flavors as well as under pitching.
      Doug A Moller
      Brewmaster
      The Moller Brew House
      (405)226-3111

Comment

I guess what I am wondering in regards to pitching rates is do you pitch normal Ale yeast quantities that you would pitch into wort at normal Ale temps or do you pitch lager like quantities of Ale yeast to compensate for the cooler temps? I remember reading somewhere in an article/book(?) about producing Scotch Ales that it was common to overpitch at cool temps to achieve a clean beer. Along the same lines do you pitch at Ale temps, wait for action then drop to 50ish or do you attempt to pitch at 50F? I do have problems cooling to below 60-62F so most likely I will be pitching at 60ish and coming in the next morning to lower it to 50. Do you find it neccesary to bring the beer up to the mid 60's for a diacetyl rest when fermenting cold?
        Big Willey
        "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

A few thoughts for you:

1. Pitch this wort as normal for an ale. Lower piching rates will increase your total yeast growth, usually making for more by-products and overpitching can lead to low yeast growth and other flavor problems.

2. Temperature of ferment: Start somewhere in the mid 60F for the first 12-24 hours and then maybe step down 2F per day. Make sure to try and come back up at the end for VDK rest. I have found in these "emulator" lager-ales that VDK rest is critical, the warmer the better. You need to make sure that all your diacetyl pre-cursor (AAL) is converted to diacetyl and then "mopped up" by your yeast. The lower ferment temp will tend to inhibit quick formation of diacetyl and thus reduction by the (healthy) yeast. So maybe stretch your VDK rest? I would go no less than 48 hours in the mid 60F for VDK rest.

3. Lots of O2, this will keep esters in check and ensure a healthy, and hopefully clean ferment.

Hope this helps,
          Beaux

Comment

Working...
          X