yeast disposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yeast disposal

am sorta of new to this board anyways here goes....

in my brewery we limit our yeat generations to 6 at the maximum ( group policy) thus we generate a lot of execss yeast which is drained into our ETP sysyem thus increasing our BOD load.

i was wondering if there are any other uses for brewers yeast such as animal feed etc, or has anyone tried mixing this yeast with etp sludge and or soil etc and using it as manure??

anyone herd of any papers/notes please post

Not sure as to the size of yoru Brewery, but if you are smaller (7 - 20 Bbl) it is real hard finding a place to "give" the yeast to. It must be sterilized (killed) to feed to cattle.

We ended up buying a 500 gallon tank for our 7 Bbl and pumping the spent yeast into that. A liquid waste service (same folks who do Honey Buckets) comes and pumps it out. We bought a 1,300 gallon for our larger 15 Bbl Brewery.

Comment

Do as the Aussies do!

start up a vegemite factory!!!

Comment

I can't find Vegamite here in my stores..........only Marmite, it's British cousin. They taste the same to me, though.

Love it on cheese sandwiches.

Comment

Find a farmer with cows...

Dogs might explode due to hops, but a farmer with cows will love your spent grains and kettle bottms as well as your spent yeast.

You cannot be tooo far from a farmer with cows?

Scotty
          Head Brewer Rocks Brewing Co.
          Sydney, Aust
          scotty@rocksbrewing.com

Comment

details

thanks for the replies

here are some more details the brewery size in questiion is 30,000 HL per month

We alread have a sludge drying beds where the sludge from our digestors is dried.

also for cattle feed does the yeast need to be dried compulsarily?

Comment

I would consult a nutrionist who specializes in farm animals. The ones up here in the Northwest are not supportive of dumping live yeast in with cattle feed.

Comment

Yeast does not have to be dried to add to feed. There are specifications for spent brewer's grain that includes maximum percentage (dry basis) of yeast, along with DE, hops, and others. Don't know where to find it at the moment, but shouldn't be too hard. We found someone to give us half a dozen 55 gal plastic drums, then come by once every other week to pick them up full of yeast. They were a food ingredient supplier who cooked the stuff (autolysis), then used the extract as a flavoring for chips, etc. Gives them the "meat" taste. It's a shame to throw such valuable foodstuff down the drain, but I've done it more than not. Good luck!
                Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

We used to send it out to pig farmers. The pigs absolutlee loved it apparently, with the additional benefit to the farmer that they were more docile as a result of the alcohol !! However, we did have to kill the yeast off first by mixing with formic acid. I'm afraid I can't remember any details of addition rates as this was, gulp, 20 odd years ago. If the yeast wasn't killed off first, then the pigs bloated up dangerously. I guess the same would apply to any cattle feed.

Cheers
                  dick

Comment

yeasty goodness

Hlo...this is my first post on the forums...

At one brewery that I worked at we sent our yeast to a cattle farm. "Killing" the yeast was necessary, but easy....we just washed it with 90 C water from our instantaneous water heaters before drying it in shallow tubs. Then the farm just picked up the yeast cakes in plastic tubs. Never had any exploding cow stories...but the farm used to drop off a few organic Porterhouse steaks each xmas!!

DF

Comment

mmmmmm.......organic porterhouse steaks.
                      Bottoms Up!

Comment

Fish fry

Not the cook out but young fish (fish fry) eat yeast as food source!
                        Doug A Moller
                        Brewmaster
                        The Moller Brew House
                        (405)226-3111

Comment

Just bringing this thread back to the top......

Anyone else out there doing anything with old yeast to dispose of it? I'd like to find a easy way of getting it out of our waste water given what I've seen ofer the past 9 months.

Our waste water authority tests our waste water every quarter but uses an average of the past 4 quarters for billing.

For the past 3 quarters I have been diposing of the yeast by dumping it myself at a local landfill and have cut my C.O.D. (kinda the same as B.O.D) surcharge per qrtr from $2382.81 down to $1706.03.......not a bad savings. I expect it to drop a bit more when they have a full year of lower levels in the books.

Obvoislet the savings is worth the effort, I just wish I could find a better way, i.e find someone or a company that can pick up the yeast as apposed to my "disposing" of it myself.

Any thoughts?

JackK

Comment

Who doesn't like beer and pizza.....

mix the two together and get rid of your yeast.

We are a small brewery only dealing with 1800bbl/yr production worth of yeast waste. We give all that we can to two local pizza parlors for making their crust. Some more goes to a local guy who composts it along with our filter sheets.

b

Comment

well, I found a local composter/ fetilizer operation that may be interested in the yeast.

He asked me what was the "chemical makeup" of the yeast.

Anyone want to take a stab at a discription?....other than yeast being a single celled organism rich in vitamin B......mixed with a bit of alcohol?

Thanks

JackK

Comment

Working...
                              X