Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone recommend a good book or two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone recommend a good book or two?

I've done homebrew for a while and am considering taking a step up and making small batches of beer to sell. I've found a good bit of info on the web, but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any good books on the subject. I'm thinking about self-distributing, with a 10 BBL system. No on-site sales.

Thanks for any help.

This topic has come up almost monthly here, I would HIGHLY suggest working in a real brewery for at least a few years before going into this. There is a night and day difference between homebrewing and pro and it is best to learn on someone elses dime. Please look at some of the other related links to this topic and read what others have said on this subject. I guess I see it like this: Would you start an airline just because you flew a cessna a few times? I don't intend on sounding rude, but hate to see people with great intentions lose alot of money! Don't under estimate brewing for a living, you can do it, but get some time in the boots.

Best of luck,
    -Beaux

PS. There is also a thread on here somewhere about books, just do a search.

Comment

I agree! I started as a homebrewer then wanted to start a brewpub. A friend got me a job as an assistant brewer, and wow there is soo much more to consider. Don't get me wrong I still want to open my own at some point but I still have a lot to learn. That and most brewers are pretty open to the idea of someone helping out, tagging along and learning more about something they enjoy. Good luck!

Comment

I agree 100% that there is no replacement for experience. Also, I did do a search for both "book" and "books" before posting. I have read many posts that, in my opinion, lie more on the discouragement side of things as opposed to the informative side. With that said please consider the following:

1. I will be hiring an experienced Brewmaster at the very least for a temp. position.

2. I am not currently interested in opening a Brewpub. There will be no on-site sales.

3. I just want the name of a/some book(s) that might contain some useful information regarding the logistics (ie Equipment Selection, floorplan, staff training, operational costs, etc..) of opening a relatively small brewery.

To mirror the reply of everyone else in these forums who have been discouraged, "I understand it will not be simple."

Thanks again.

Comment

The Brewery Planner from the Brewers Association www.beeertown.org is a good resource, even though it hasn't been updated.

Even a small brewery is a huge undertaking. The legal hurdles are the same if you are brewing 500 bbls a year or 49,999 bbls a year. You will have to get all the same licenses, bonds, permits, etc no matter what size.

But hey it can be done.
          Linus Hall
          Yazoo Brewing
          Nashville, TN
          www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Found it on amazon. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
            X