Multi-Talented Brewer Seeking to Relocate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Multi-Talented Brewer Seeking to Relocate

Someone who identifies with the concept of the multi-skilled "Renaissance Man" as the ultimate compliment, I have spent my life doing a great many different things - and always taking it to the highest level. Having such a wide-ranging background of experience and education, I am often able to find and use synergy between the seemingly-unrelated for a better result.

An experimental cook and homebrewer since the 90's, I am an active Brew Free or Die member and a Recognized BJCP Beer Judge at nearly every local and semi-local BJCP competition. My first stab at the Certified Cicerone exam fell three points short of passing (dosed off-flavors are much more subtle than real ones) - I am currently waiting for a local re-take to occur to finish certification. I am an active member in the American Homebrewers Association and the Granite State Brewers Association. I also maintain a beer-focused blog (http://brewsandstews.wordpress.com) and Twitter feed (@DarkBroodBrews).

I have been brewing professionally since the start of the year in a 15bbl brewpub that is currently expanding into distribution (so definitely dealing with some start-up issues, although the brewpub has been around for 20 years). We maintain 18 of our own beers on tap at any given time, ranging from a basic cream ale to our sweet-and-sour Crabby Apple (made with apples in the mash and cider added after fermentation). I run the cask program and am proud to say that our casks are now shipping out to accounts (with our 22oz bottles, logs, and half-barrel kegs) - and the casks represent our highest profit margin among our distribution portfolio. We have three brewers that work overlapping shifts and we are all intimately involved in every aspect of the brewery.

Having spent most of my life in northern New England, I am ready to be out . . . preferably to somewhere warmer (or at least shorter winters). I'm not particularly picky about money or location. What I really seek is (a) enough money to live on without panicking, (b) a brewing position that offers either learning or creativity, preferably both, and (c) a vibrant local scene (I choose to be around people who enjoy living their lives with intensity). That said, I'll admit a preference for the southern west coast or the islands . . .

Past experiences have included many applicable skills:
    * Artisanal Baker - two years managing dough and bacteria, heavy multi-tasking work load, operating independently, restaurant operations
    * Farm Hand - managing blueberry farm and orchard with hay and mustard fields, farm-to-table
    * Photographer - events, wildlife, and landscape work (some at http://brian-gibson.fineartamerica.com)
    * Engineering Technician - civil, mechanical, electrical, and survey detailing, drafting, design, and calculations
    * Structural Engineering Designer - specialized design in steel, concrete, and timber (including everything from international high-rise to local bridges)
    * Architectural Designer/Detailer - specialized designs for residential and commercial customers
    * Bottling Line QA Technician - quality assurance work across large-scale bottling and packaging line for VeryFine
    * Retail Sales Manager - managed four departments for a Sears store, raising revenue by 20% across my departments
    * Concert Management and Vending - all operations of event planning, management, operations, and booth sales at events (including lots of security work)
    * Theatre Production - acting, special effects design, directing productions, former Executive Producer and Vice Chairman for a theatre company
    * Computer Systems - programming, web design, systems administration and repair
    * . . . and the list goes on . . .

So: do you seek a vibrant, passionate, highly-educated and well-rounded brewer with a mature but fun outlook on life? If so, I would love to talk with you!

Please contact me at darkbroodbrews@gmail.com for resume, references, or questions. Thank you.
    Last edited by DarkBroodBrews; 07-28-2014, 10:32 PM.
Working...
X