Neomexicanus hop story- Smithsonian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neomexicanus hop story- Smithsonian

For years I've posted questions, photos and info about my research project breeding neomexicanus hops in New Mexico.
    Here's the story of how it all started and where it is now.

Once considered unfit for brewing, wild American hops are making their solo debut on the beer market. Will it change the way we think of American beer?

Here come the neomexicanus hops for some of the best brews ever!

Wild Read

Fantastic!

Thanks for the link and your hard work
    Dammy Olsson
    Quality Manager
    Wormtown Brewery
    Worcester, MA

Comment

Originally posted by Damase View Post
      Fantastic!

Thanks for the link and your hard work
      Thanks Damase! I can hardly wait for all the great brews folks will be now brewing with neomexicanus hops. One suggestion I would have for all brewers using these hops,, and it's my opinion for sure,,, but don't use any Euro hops if you use neomexicanus hops. After drinking my brews with neomexicanus hops vs. Euro hops,, I find that Euro hops leave me a sort of "gluey scudgey " feel/taste on my tongue whereas I never had that happen with any brews I made using pure neomexicanus hops. I always wondered if Euro hops had a chemical(s) that the neomexicanus didn't or if they both had that chemical(s) but perhaps the neomexicanus hops had some extra chemical(s) that cleaned the palate of the "gluey scudge".

Brew on with pure blooded Neomexicanus hops!

Comment

This is exciting news! I've wanted to brew with these since I first heard of them. In fact, I have a beer I'm using Summer hops in, but I really designed it for the "peach tea" I've heard ascribed to neomexicanus, not the melon/apricot of Summer. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
        X