Dry Hopping and DE filtering.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Hopping and DE filtering.

Has anyone run into problems with their DE filtering when a batch of beer has been dry hopped? My pressures seems to spike early and the "filtered" beer gets cloudy in the sight glass early too. I took the bell apart to find a lot of hop residue on the cakes. Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Brodie

Put your dry hops into a muslin bag, ensuring plenty of room for them to "float" inside the bag. "Stir" the bag around periodically if you can. Otherwise put a large fine stainless mesh filter in the beer line between the conditioning tank and the filter. This is probably the better option if your conditioning tank is sealed & pressurised

Cheers
    dick

Comment

clearing your tank

I would follow Dicks advice, for the tank that has already been dry hopped I would drop glassings to clear it before you filter.

Cheers
      Faustino

Comment

I regularly dry hop my Pale 15 Bbls, with 7lbs of pellets in the fermentation tank after primary and let sit at 50F for at least 4 days then crash to 32 for two days and filter with a 2M DE filter (I use Perlite) and have zero problems, in fact it is one of my easiest beers to filter. How long are your dry hops setting in the tank and are you cellarrng enough trub off before filtration? I rarely see hop chunks in my sight glass but the DE cake is noticeably "green". One thing I have had problems with is trying to do an unfiltered beer that has been dryhopped with pellets, even with Biofine additions I always get hop pellet chunks during transfer.
        Big Willey
        "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

use more dirt. get your de load up. my 2 meter filter can take about 27 pounds of de, minus displacement for soil load. Also, your beer must be ready to filter: aged, chilled, and dropped bright. There should be no need to fine after dry hopping if you have given the beer enough time to clarify.

We dry hop with type 90's at a rate up to about 5 pounds per 10bbls with no problem, and very little delta p on the filter run compared to regular runs. Also, if you are fining with issinglass it will pull yeast, but not hops. At least not directly... just something to keep in mind.

Good luck, and keep on dry hopping!!
          Larry Horwitz

Comment

Our IPA uses over 1 lb/bbl of pellets loose in the unitank. I blow the hops just like yeast (make sure it's blown well too), and rarely encounter any filtration issues. I have found that it is important that the racking arm/standpipe (whichever your vessels have) is well blown before starting, because if hop matter hits your plates before DE, you're in a world of pain. Hope it all goes well.

Cheers,
            Sam

Comment

Working...
            X